Chapter 55

Flashback 1 year ago

Victor slowly walked up to the hospital, his wife thought he was at work but he snuck off to get the results of his biopsy. Victor had an awful cold for about a month, Valeria urged him to go to the doctor because she thought he should've been cured after she gave him her home remedy. He was having difficulty breathing and swallowing, he assumed the flu virus had mutated and he just got the bad end of the stick.

He waltzed in with his shoulders square and his back straight, his doctor did the biopsy as a precaution but he was positive there was no way he could have cancer. There wasn't a Hunter man who had cancer and he wasn't going to be the first. He flirted with Dana, his favorite nurse, she always lingered when she took his pressure letting her hands roam around his body. Victor really couldn't help but flirt with the nurses but Dana slipped him her number a few weeks ago. They met and had an enjoyable time, and it seemed she wanted more as a sly grin crossed the nurse's face. She slowly walked over to an empty consultation room and called him over mischievously with her finger.

Victor followed quickly and she closed the door behind him. She pounced on him getting wrapped into a frenzied lip lock, their hands pawing at each other's clothes,

"Mr.Hunter" her labored breaths sounded as he nuzzled on her neck, he moaned his answer, "we cant do this here" he pushed her against the wall. She clawed at his back lifting one leg effortlessly, her back arched and her head tilted back as he left loving bites along her neckline. They were about to make passionate love when they heard someone jiggling the doorknob, they froze in the act but the person went on their way. They fixed their clothing before exiting the room.

Victor waited for the doctor in the room looking through the window aimlessly, when Dr.Elliott came into the room,

"Good morning Mr.Hunter" he greeted before taking a seat behind the desk,

"Let's make this quick" Victor said hoisting up his pants before sitting, "I got a nurse trying to get to know me, know what I mean?" he grinned at the doctor, he stared at victor with a straight face,

"I see" he noted before going to the results, "Well from the ultrasound there were a few abnormalities I wanted to check, I believed they were cancerous"

"And of course there weren't"

"Well the needle biopsy confirmed my beliefs, they were cancerous. I'm sorry but you do have lung cancer"

Victor roamed from the hospital he couldn't think straight, the news completely shattered him he didn't know how he would break the news to his wife, he didn't know how he could break the news to anyone.

***

"I-" he looked over at the young couple, they had so much time ahead of them, so many memories to make, he didn't live a perfect life but he thought he could at least give them some wisdom on his deathbed. He sucked down a sharp breath feeling the tightness growing,

"I know you I'm not the most loving person, but I still want to say I'm very sorry" he coughed, they both looked stunned, Anabella couldn't believe her ears, "I know I only wanted you two together for my benefit but after listening I know you two were meant to be together" he mumbled sucking down another sharp breath,

"Mr.Hunter" she started,

"No no no, just call me Victor, I would've been Dad if I was alive long enough to see you two get married" his eyes grew teary as he smiled at her. Anabella felt her own pools forming in her eyes,

"Alexander I know I wasn't the best father nor husband but I love you and your mother. I loved her from the day I laid eyes on her, she made me believe in love and I'm glad you found someone to do the same. It might've been selfish on my part not to say I had cancer but I didn't want her worrying, I didn't want her remembering the last moments with me were sorrowful, your mother had a great time doing things with me this last year." He began to sob and Anabella glanced between Alexander and his father, they both shared the same pain look, "I can feel myself dying, and I'm glad she's not here to see me like this"

"You're not dying" Alexander shook his head looking at his fading father, he was in disbelief,

"I love you, son, never stop trying to make her happy" he mumbled as he took his last breath, he closed his eyes slowly. Alexander outstretched his arm to his dying father but he couldn't reach him before he died before his eyes. A slow stream of tears flowed down Anabella's cheeks as Alexander clung to her body. He cried quietly, Anabella couldn't imagine what he was feeling, he didn't have the best relationship with his father but no one could handle losing a parent let alone watching him slowly die. She just held him crying, she felt heartbroken for him but it only got worse when Victor's wife and mother returned. They froze in the doorway, with gut-wrenching sounds came from the two of them as they held each other, but they weren't prepared to see Victor's pale body lying in the bed.

The rest of the day was quiet, no one spoke, they just cried. Alexander wouldn't let go of Anabella, he couldn't, he held her tight to his body, his stomach churned his mind roamed. He couldn't believe his father died, he went through his mind plucking good times with his father, unfortunately, they weren't much. The best moment was just now when he apologized, Alexander smiled he thought loving her could be the worst thing he could do because it was what his father wanted but now, with his blessing, Alexander couldn't be more confident. "Never stop trying to make her happy".