Chapter 23: Recruitment

Start from the beginning

"I'm just- I don't really want to be in front of an audience filled with those people. My throat closes up by just thinking about their eyes on me. I don't want to hold their attention," Hannah's partner replied back.

"Trust me, I know the feeling. We can do this, besides, we're the first one up so we can get it over with quickly," Hannah tightly smiled, checking the time.

I reached for my phone, the number 2:10 presented before my eyes. "Alice, let's go. Mrs. Fluent expects us to be there five minutes before everything starts."

Alice looked up from her screen, halting her thumbs and putting a stop to her ferocious texting, probably having a chat with her mother. 

"Alright," she responded, slipping her phone into her front pocket. "Everyone start heading to the auditorium! Go to your place, whether that is behind the wings or helping out with lights and sound checks!" Alice yelled throughout the class, accomplishing her job of being the informant.

The tense atmosphere was thick and heavy, spreading through the room faster than the speed of light. The girls and guys stiffened at the dreadful announcement, it was about to be showtime for them.

Hopefully the gangs will be nice.

Hopefully you'll get a grip on reality, snorted my dark self.

The lack of movement bothered Alice as she clapped her hands together and barked orders, "Please exit the room! Mrs. Fluent will kill me if we're late to our own show!"

Some hesitated to stay put as they slightly began to break their rigid form. Unfortunately, those people regain their senses as they realized a majority of the kids weren't moving an inch.

A girl with light curly hair, marched her way to the door, grabbing the handle and holding the door wide open. "Get out," Hannah bluntly said, no anger or rude attitude, just absolute bluntness.

They all looked at each other, their eyes sharing one thing in common. Why listen to the girl who holds no power over them? But, surely, if they knew who she was related to, what blood was running through her veins, they would oblige to the request. They didn't have a clue that Noah Esposito was a gang leader or that Hannah was apart of that, even if she didn't participate in gang activities.

Alice places her hands on her hips. "You guys can do this, there's nothing to be afraid of because we all can sing laps around those hyena-sounding people."

My lips quirked up as a smile broke through.

"I know everyone is nervous about going out there and being in front of intimidating people, but you can't give them the satisfaction of seeing you be scared, they like that. Don't give them what they like. You have to go out on stage, like we all did many times before, and sing your fabulous voices in front of those 'hyena sounding people'," I sincerely urged, flashing my wide smile at everyone present, including Hannah.

She caught my eyes and returned the gesture, spreading the door more wide for people to leave, and they did. They all followed each other out the classroom, and Alice waited for the last students to go by.

"Hey, Annalise. I like your skirt," Hannah complimented me, turning in my direction before walking out.

"Thank you," I beamed happily.