Check Mate

Astra's POV::

Diego and Dante yell at each other in the living room as Hermosa, my mom, Natalie, Mack, and I sit in the kitchen waiting for my dad to get back so we can go look at wedding dresses. I'm more nervous than I should be just to try on dresses, just the thought gives me anxiety. I don't want anything flashy or extra, but I know my family will want me to wear something like that.
Its been a two months now since Zenith went into therapy and I have been taking care of Mack. My family absolutely loves her and thankfully doesn't ask too many questions. When they asked where she came from, I told them she was a friends daughter that's parents were taking care of important family business in another state.
"I'm back," my dad yells once he comes through the doors. My mom stands up from the stoll and tries taking the keys from him. He holds them high above her head so she can't reach. "Kiss me first." She pouts childishly and gives him a quick peck. They're adorable.
I was ecstatic when they explained the whole divorce situation to me. My dad has known Zenith's gang was planning something and knew they would target his lived ounces first, so he wanted to make it seem as believable as possible that they were getting a divorce and no longer loved each other.
×××××××
I look at myself in the plain white wedding dress that falla to the floor. Its beautiful and hugs my body the right way. I turn around from the mirror and show my family. They all cringe except for my dear Mack. She understands me.
"Please try on the one I picked out for you," my grandma says. I sigh, nodding and walking back to the dressing room. The worker helps me out of the dress and helps me into the new one. I will admit that its pretty, but its not my style at all. I don't feel comfortable in it at all and I feel its showing too much.
I come out of the dressing room and hear them all gasp. Shit. "You look beautiful, Astra," my mom says with tears in her eyes. Oh no, not the tears. I nod, looking at the mirror again.
"This is the dress," I say. Anything for my family. Whatever makes them happy.
×××××××

I walk inside of Zenith's room at the rehab, looking around for him. I still find it weird that the care keepers just let us in without notifying them first. I hear the sound of water coming from the bathroom and think about just leaving and coming back tomorrow, but the water shutting off makes me decide to stay.
I sit down on the bed and wait until he comes out. Ten minutes or so passes and the door finally opens. He stops in his tracks and looks at me in surprise. "I wasn't expecting you."
"I know, I'm sorry. I was just supposed to call today, but my phone decided to take a shit on me and I needed a excuse to escape from everyone and the wedding planning," I explain to him. 
    ××××××
               Zenith's POV::

      "Wow, you look look terrible," she says. I smile weakly. "Mack says hi." I swallow down the lump on her throat. "Is she with her mom today?" I ask. She nods. "She's happy with you, right? And you're not turning her into some health freak? Cause I can't cook like you can." She smiles light heatedly, making my heart flutter. "She's happy, and amazing. And I can't make any promises about the health freak thing. But, once you get better I can share some recipes with you." I grin, looking into her eyes.
    "Thank you," I say. "I don't know what you want to do. There's not much." She looks down at the bed with a smirk.
    "I can think of something."
    ××××××

     "Oh fuck," I groan. She sighs and closes her eyes, relaxing into the mattress as I move closer.
    "Just do it already," she says.
    "CHECK MATE!" I yell in victory. She groans in frustration. I usually hate Checkers, but she she puts up a good fight. "You did good, little one."
   "I'm not little," she says, rolling her eyes. "So, I wanted to talk to you about something. Elijah and I are getting married in three months, and Mack as been a great help with planning and calming me down when needed. I would love it if you guys would come."
    My jaw clenches. "Wouldn't that be a little awkward? You know, since I'm your ex?" She sighs.
    "I guess, but it's not like there's any feelings left," she says. Wow, that hurt. I nod, squeezing her small hand.
   "I'll come."
    ××××××
   Three months later: Astra's POV

                I look at myself in the mirror, hating the way I look and the dress

      I look at myself in the mirror, hating the way I look and the dress. Natalie insisted on doing my makeup and she didn't listen when I said I wanted it natural, and as thankful as I am for this dress, I hate it. 
     I take in a sharp breath and look around myself. My mom, Tia's and cousins are all getting ready as well in front of the mirrors. I walk to the door and step out for a second to breath. This is so much, too much.
    Someone knocks softly on the door before coming on. My breath hitches when in see him. The devil looks good in a suit.

   AN: Sorry for so many time leaps. Please comment your thoughts and vote! Believe in yourself -Vaeh