Got A Hold On Me

"I don't like you, but I love you,
Seems that I'm always thinking of you. Oh, oh, oh, you treat me badly, I love you madly, you really got a hold on me" - You Really Got A Hold On Me - Cyndi Lauper

                  Astra's POV::

   I can't stop thinking about him. The way he looked broke my heart. He's still breath takingly handsome, but its obvious he uses. He's not the man I fell for, he's worse and better. Worse in the way he's falling into a hole of addiction, and better in the way that he raises his daughter.
    I want what's best for Mack, ever sense he first found out about her, I wanted what's best. She's an angel with a father whose the devil. I also want what's best for him, and that's to clean his act up.
    "Are you okay, love?" Elijah asks. I look away from the TV, snapping out my thoughts and smile at him. "Penny for your thoughts."
    "I was just thinking about the parent teacher conferences today," I tell him. He's not a lie, that's what I'm thinking about; I'm just not giving the details.
    "What about them as you so twisted up?" He asks. I sigh, looking at our laced fingers. 
    "I seen Zenith today, he's Mack's father," I tell him. He takes in a deep breath, raising his brows.
    "Wow, um, okay," he says, nodding. Now I made things awkward, great. "How did that go?" Great, he's hooked in drugs and somehow still super hot. And I'm also still thinking about him and those stupidly gorgeous eyes.
    "Fine, it was just awkward," I tell him. "He's definitely not on a good track."
    "What do you mean?" He asks.
     "You're a cop, I can't tell you," I say. He sighs, knowing I'm right.
     "Just promise me the girl is safe," he says. I smile at him, nodding.
    ×××××××

   "Mack, cab you stay back for a few minutes?" I ask. She steps aside from her friends and walks over to my desk. "Does your dad pick you up?" I ask. She nods in answer. "Can you please.go get him for me? I have to talk to him. Its nothing bad, I promise."
    "Sure," she says and walks out. I put all my pens and pencils away along with stray papers. I stand up and put my cardigan back on. Gosh I dress like such an old women. Even the older girls in my family don't dress like this. Natalie still dresses how she did when she was sixteen and I'm over here looking like I'm thirty. I'm such a teacher.
     "You wanted to see me?" A deep voice says from the door. I spin around on my heels and look at the sex god of a man in front of me. I might be engaged, but I'm not immune to his good looks.
    "Where's Mack?" I ask.
    "Talking to her friend." I nod, taking a deep breath. How do I even start a conversation like this.
     "I want you to get help, if not for yourself then for Mack," I blurt out. That's one way to do things. He looks away from me. "What about rehab?"
     "Do you really think I have the time to go to a rehab, hermosa?" I blush at the nickname and his spanish accent as he says it.
     "No, but there are people around you that will help. Over time I've learned things about gangs; you have a second in command, put him in share for seventy days." He sighs, running his hands through his hair.    
    "What about Mack? Zennie has been busier than ever and I trust no one else."
    "Do you trust me?" I ask. He looks me dead in the eyes.
    "It may sound stupid, but yeah. I still trust you."
     "I will take her in for the time being. I will give you updates on her every five minutes if you want, just as long as you get help." He nods, biting his lip.
    "I'll do it," he says. I smile brightly at him. "Now for my question, Elijah? Really!?" He says with a laugh. I smile and punch his shoulder playfully. "You could do better."
     "Maybe," I say, thinking out loud. He cocks a brow at me. "But he makes me happy and I love him. That's all I can really ask for in a man." He nods, grinning sadly. Don't do this to me.   
    "I'm happy he makes you happy, you know that's all I ever wanted for you," he says. I open my mouth to say something, but he stops me. "My last words to you were that I loved you, and I meant it. I didn't want to kill your father, you were never just a gateway to him; you were just told to be, but you were so much more than that. I will never find another women as great as you, and that's fine. I just want to live with you not hating me anymore."
     I cup his face in my hands and make him look into my eyes. "As much as I wanted, I could never hate you, Zenith. I was just mad and hurt. I'm proud of who you became, despite the drugs." He smiles shyly.
    "Really?" He asks, blinking back tears. I smile at him.
   "Really."
    ×××××××
     One week later:

     "That's him?" Mack asks as we walk into the apartment to see Nick and Elijah attempting to cook. Zenith told her the truth about his drug usage, although she's still at a young age, she was able to understand.
    "Yeah," I say, taking her bag from her. She cringes and looks up at me.
    "My dad was right, you could do better."

   AN: The end...of the chapter hehehe. Please comment and share! Believe in yourself -Vaeh