Chapter Thirty One; Epilogue

♫Love on the Brain by Rihanna 

Newt and Thomas kept their promise to travel through Europe. 

They started in France at the beginning of July, and they stayed there for five days, venturing out to tourist attractions (which included climbing the Eiffel Tower) and dining in five star restaurants and drinking the finest of wines. 

They then spent a week in Spain; they sunbathed at the beach and swam in the sea, feeling the sun on their backs and the slight breeze of wind in their hair. Newt surprised Thomas with a date night, which they spent lying under the stars and eating a picnic basket full of food he made. 

When they went to Portugal, Thomas took Newt to an art museum, who was in awe the whole night. Of course, he topped it off with romance, leaving Newt in a sense of tranquillity. He studied Thomas's face while he slept, admiring every little feature. Why do I deserve him? Newt asked himself. Out of everyone he could be with, why me?

Their trip to Italy was their favourite. They loved eating pizzas and pastas in restaurants, and enjoying the entertainment that was provided. There was never a dull moment. It filled them with lust, which only added to their evening events. They enjoyed a morning swim at the nearby hotel, and spent some time lying in the sun. Newt suggested they visit the colosseums and The Leaning Tower of Pisa. Thomas agreed, and they spent a few days walking to different landmarks and taking one too many photos. Memories, Thomas thought.

They hated the thought of leaving Italy. 

But they had Greece. It was a warm country with many interesting facts. They visited the stadium where the first Olympics was held. They visited different islands and Athens, the capital. The main thing they did in Greece was walk. Thomas and Newt enjoyed exercising together, and made a promise to do it more often when they returned home. Home.

They missed their friends, yes, but they kept in contact with them, skyping them weekly and sending pictures they thought they would like. Teresa had travelled to Brazil with Brenda for a week, and Minho went to Korea to visit his grandparents. Gally, Alby and Frypan stayed at home and worked to earn money so they could pay their tuition fees at college.

On their fifth week, they went to Germany for three days. They hadn't planned on going there, but they decided to because it was only a stop away from the Netherlands. They learned more about World War One and Two while they were there, and toured the cities and took long walks in the evenings.

Newt was extremely excited for Amsterdam. He wanted to travel there ever since he was a child, and his dad promised to take him there one day. Also, it was advertised well in the Fault in Our Stars, which made it more appealing to Newt. Thomas understood why he was slightly depressed, but he tried to cheer him up and help him have a good time.

"You know your dad would be proud of you," he said. "Even though he's not here, he would be glad to know you are."

Newt sobbed into Thomas' chest. "I know, Tommy. We were supposed to do this together, dad and I, but... I'm sorry. I don't mean to cry, it's just..."

"You don't have to explain anything to me, I understand," Thomas comforted Newt, kissing the top of his head. "Why don't we lie down."

Thomas guided Newt to their bed, where they lay side by side. They were pressed close to each other, so close that Newt could feel Thomas's warm breath on his face, drying his tears. 

"I love you," Newt said, his voice full wavering still.

"I love you, too." Thomas pressed a kiss to Newt's chapped lips and pulled his body closer so they were hugging tightly. Newt's breathing eventually levelled out, and, soon enough, he was asleep. Their legs were tangled and their arms were strongly wrapped around one another. 

Thomas fell asleep minutes later, not realising how tired he really was. 

***

The next day, Thomas woke to an empty bed. He heard the shower stop, and out walked Newt with a towel hanging low from his hips. He gripped it in one hand, and ran his other through his hair. 

"Morning," he greeted Thomas, pressing a kiss to his lips. Water was dripping from his body and hair, but Thomas didn't mind. "What are we doing today, Tommy?"

"We could walk into town and have breakfast at a café then visit the bridge afterwards," Thomas suggested.

"Sounds good. Get up and get dressed then, lazy," Newt laughed. Authority suited Newt, Thomas thought, even if he was joking. 

Thomas stretched his arms before getting out of bed and going for a shower, kissing Newt's shoulder as he walked past him. He bit his lip as he smiled, trying to hide his blush. 

When they were both ready, they grabbed their key, phone and wallets and left the hotel. The walk to the café only took five minutes and they were accompanied by a breath taking view. Their intertwined fingers never let go, holding on as if their life depended on it. 

To Newt, this was Heaven. It was everything he dreamed of and more.

To Thomas, this was a sanctuary. Everything was how he wanted it to be and he couldn't imagine life being any different. 

As they sat down at the café, they held each others hands in the middle of the table, brushing their thumbs over the others knuckles. No words were said; none were needed. 

They had each other, and that was enough. 

They wanted this today.

Tomorrow.

Forever.