Chapter Twenty Six

~I watched The Death Cure for the third time and I cried so hard that my mum came into my room in a total state of panic, thinking there was something seriously wrong with me and I would have to be taken to hospital. Newt's death and the letter he writes for Thomas gets me every time and now I know when it happens I cry way before his death and I cherish every moment he is healthy and not cranking out. 

~I've done a little filler chapter because why not and I promise there will be more newtmas because to me it feels like there is hardly any but I'm trying my best.

Newt's POV

I sat in Doctor Ava Paige's office, staring intensely at her, awaiting her first question. She smiled fondly at me, tilting her head to the right. "Newt, how are you feeling today?"

"Kind of terrible," I reply. "I feel tired, lost, and...I don't know. I feel depressed, really."

"Is it common for you to feel like this?"

"I tend to have days like these, but not as often as what they used to be."

"And how often would that be?"

"It used to be a couple of times a month, but now it's usually only once in three months, I think."

Doctor Paige scribbled notes into her book before looking back at me, her facial expression completely unchanged. She seemed to be unfazed, like she had heard similar stories to mine. 

"Did you eat much for lunch today, Newt?" Doctor Paige asked, her voice soft.

"No, I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I didn't have the energy, and it looked disgusting anyways," I replied, sounding slightly agitated.

"Okay," she scribbled something else down. "Do you like your roommate?"

"Winston? Yeah, he's kind of amazing, actually. We both understand each other, and we both know when the other wants to be left alone for a while. We know how to help each other and talk without feeling guilty of anything we've said."

"That's wonderful to hear, Newt. What about your other friends? Tell me about them."

"Well, first off, there's Chuck; he's such a sweet kid. He's really friendly and, on my first day here, he gave me a tour of the place. He never stopped talking about...well, everything, to be honest. But I never got bored of listening to him, he always had something to say.

"Alex, another one of my friends, is probably the biggest joker. He's always messing with other people -not in a cruel way- but they always laugh it off afterwards. When we have free time after lunch, we usually go to the art room and paint for a while. I love watching him paint; he gets stuck into it and the world around him just disappears. He's always so focused to make every detail of the painting perfect.

"Finally, Greg, the athlete. He's been running since he was a kid and I always tell him he should meet Thomas and Minho because they're athletes as well, and they should have a race or something. He's not as chatty, but that's more to do with his anxiety, but when he does talk, he knows what to say and when to say it. He's good at comforting people because he just lets you cry and he listens to you when you need to talk."

I didn't realise how much I was rambling until I stopped. Doctor Paige stared at me with interest, obviously still keen for me to keep talking. "Is there anything else you want to talk about?"

I shook my head, murmuring a quick 'no'. I fidgeted with my hands in my lap and blinked my eyes a few times, trying to rid myself of tiredness.

"I was asked to speak to you about your release, Newt," Ava Paige spoke. I visibly tensed, wondering what she was going to say? Would it be bad news? Would I have to stay here longer? "Don't worry, it's nothing major. As you know, at the end of next month you're going to be leaving us to go back home. Only six more weeks, Newt.