Chapter Twenty Eight

♫River by Bishop Briggs

~I'm just going to do a time skip because I'm now officially bored with this fic, so after this chapter there will only be another two!

~I'm really sorry for giving up but I'm not enjoying writing this anymore and I want to publish something else I've already started writing.

One month later

The loud buzz indicated the opening of a door. That door led to a reception. That reception lead to another door and, behind that one, was the outside world. Newt couldn't wait to be there. He walked the final corridor with a male nurse and Winston following behind.

Winston couldn't be more gutted that Newt was leaving. Although he was extremely happy for him, he didn't want to be alone. He wasn't alone, though, because he had Chuck, Greg and Alex. But Newt was the most relatable person he has ever met, so he was hard to let go of.

They stopped walking before they got to the giant iron door, and Newt turned to embrace Winston in a hug. They held on to each other for what felt like years, remembering all the good times they shared in that one hug. 

"Don't worry, Winston, you'll be out of here in no time," Newt told him. "You're more than welcome to come and visit my friends and I when you're released, and we'll still come to visit you weekly."

"I'm going to miss you, buddy," Winston sobbed, tears flowing down his face. "I can't believe you're actually going. I'm so proud of you."

"And I'm proud of you. Just keep your head held high and never look down."

There was a moment of silence before their final goodbye's.

"See you around, mate," Newt whispered.

"Hopefully sooner rather than later," Winston replied with a smile. They hugged one last time before Winston was escorted back to his room. There was one last look over their shoulders, one last smile, then he was out of sight.

Newt turned his attention to the now open door and he stepped through, feeling like he was entering new territory. His mother was the first to hug him, squeezing him tight and rubbing his hair, telling him how much she missed him.

"I missed you so much," Newt said. "I missed you so, so much."

"I know, darling, I know. You're okay now, we're going to go home," Rose replied, choking on her tears.

Doctor Paige appeared just as they broke away and turned to the receptionist, both with a glowing look upon their faces. 

"I must tell you," Ava Paige started, "that Newt has made excellent progress. From what I've seen, he's improved a lot, more than any other patient I have ever worked with. I have prescribed him with medication that he should continue to take for as long as he needs to, but if there is a relapse with the depression then I would strongly recommend he goes back on it."

"Thank you, Doctor Paige, for everything," Newt said before his mum could, knowing she would begin to ramble until she was out of breath. 

"You can come to me whenever you need to, just call and make an appointment," she said, offering a hand for both Newt and Rose to shake, which they did in a polite manner. After their final goodbyes, they collected Newt's items he had given them on his first day, and signed him out.

Newt was only expecting the car to be sitting by the front steps when they left the building, but what he seen instead made him stop in his tracks.

Thomas. And Teresa. And Minho, Brenda, Gally, Alby and Frypan. 

"What..." Newt begun, but before he could say anything else, Thomas wrapped his arms around him. Once the initial shock was over, he did the same, his arms holding on for dear life, and his hands tangling themselves in Thomas' hair. 

They pulled away, but their bodies were still pressed together, and then their lips were, moving in sync. They hadn't kissed in three months, so it was passionate and slow,steady and controlled. They never wanted to let go of the taste of each others lips, taking the sweetness for granted. 

But they had to, because Newt had other friends to thank.

"I fucking love you, Thomas Edison," he said, crying as he spoke.

"I fucking love you too, Newton Isaac's," Thomas replied, wiping away his tears.

Newt had to pull away, and Thomas understood, mainly because Minho was making gagging expressions behind them. "You're over dramatic," Newt laughed as he embraced his friend in a hug. 

He worked his way around them, like he had at the hospital three months ago, thanking them over and over again for being there for him. He laughed with each of them, making Thomas' heart skip a beat when he heard that beautiful sound, because he hadn't heard it in months.

The final person Newt spoke to was Teresa, and Thomas couldn't hear their conversation because they were whispering. 

Newt told her Thomas was unbelievably lucky to have her, especially now with what he is going through, and after what his dad did to him. Teresa only sobbed quietly, taking in every word Newt was saying. 

"So, Newt, when are you taking your exams?" Frypan asked once Teresa and Newt pulled away from their hug.

"In a month," he replied. "They're not going to make me sit them next week with you guys because I haven't been able to study, obviously, so they're going to change the dates for mine. I'll be hearing back from colleges at the same time as you, though."

"That's great! We can all get together to open the letters!" Gally exclaimed. "Remember, if you need help with maths, you know who to call."

"Not you," Newt joked. "You're the reason I failed most of my tests last year."

"Okay, I may have taught you the wrong formulas for trig and algebra, but the look on the teachers face when she handed back the papers was hilarious!"

"Yeah, the complete and utter disappointment was a real confidence booster," Newt laughed. "Anyway, I'm hungry and I haven't had a decent meal in God knows how long. Can we go grab something?"

"Anything for you, Newt," Brenda said, already walking towards her car.

"And maybe later," Newt leaned in to whisper to Thomas, "we can catch up on all the kissing we've missed out on."

"I like the sound of that."