Chapter Twenty Two

♫ Time is Running Out by Muse

~I know I said I would update more now I'm on study leave but I think I misjudged how much stuff I've been having to do. 

~I seen Dan and Phil on tour on Sunday night! Their show was amazing, I kept laughing the whole way through. I want to do it all over again. Their set list was amazing and they were playing P!atd and 'Welcome to the Black Parade' as well. It was such an amazing experience and I'm so gutted it's over.

Newt's POV

The building was formed of old bricks. Windows concealed by bars on the inside decorated the walls three floors up. The entrance gate was black with spikes pointing upwards. It was the kind of place that gave you chills, the old structure haunting your shadow. Whatever, it was home for the next three months. 

Inside, the pure white walls blinded my eyes temporarily and the floor was so clean it portrayed my reflection. It smelled like overused chemicals after cleaning. The reception area was oddly calming, nurses watching my every move, studying me long and hard with their hawk like eyes.

Thomas's hand suddenly griped mine so tightly I jumped. I had been in my own world, taking in the surrounding, and didn't notice my own nerves shaking my body. I squeezed Thomas's hand, trying to supress the obvious depressing feeling controlling me. I didn't want to be here, I didn't want to leave my mum or Thomas, but I had to.

We approached the front desk, where I awkwardly stood next to my mum while she spoke to the woman sitting in a chair engaging in polite conversation. 

"You must be Newton, pleasure to meet you," she spoke with an all too cheery voice for a...rehab centre? Clinic? Help centre? I'm not too sure what to call it.

"It's just Newt," I answered softly. "Lovely to meet you too."

The receptionist asked us to follow her into another room. It was small but big enough to fit a desk and a few chairs.

"I'm going to have to ask you to empty your pockets, remove your belt if you're wearing one, and take your shoes off and replace them with these," she instructed as she sat a box on the table and handed me a pair of slippers. "It's because of the laces."

I started to put my phone, keys and wallet into the box before unbuckling my belt with shaking hands. I switched my shoes for the slippers which, I have to admit, were rather comfortable. Nobody spoke the whole time. Silence enveloped the room.

"Alright, now, for the worst bit, I must inform you of your treatment," she paused for a moment, waiting for us to nod and tell her to continue. "You'll start each day with breakfast in the cafeteria. We believe socialising is good for you, and it will allow you to make friends while you're here. After that, you'll have group therapy for an hour, then you'll have free time to read, draw or go for a walk until lunch. Then, on a Friday after lunch, you'll have your session with Doctor Ava Paige for one hour..." 

I started to lose interest in what she was saying. I kept zoning out, thinking about what kind of people would be here. Would there be anyone the same age as me? Will I make any friends? Will I get better?

The receptionist (who was also a part-time nurse) kept mentioning medication. I didn't care to much about it; I planned on taking whatever they gave me. She kept blabbering on and on until she abruptly stood up, causing my eyes to follow her movement.

"If you'll please follow me," she said, her face showing signs of empathy. We walked to an iron gate that separated the entrance and reception from the...I'm still not sure what to call the other side. "I can only give you a few moments to say goodbye. Visiting hours are from six o'clock to half past seven every night."

The click of her heels echoed down the all where she stood with another nurse. I turned my attention away from them and back to my mum.

"I'm going to miss you, Newt. I'll visit as often as I can," mum cried as she wrapped her arms around me. I hugged her back tightly, allowing a few tears to slip.

"It's only three months, mum, then I'll be out and I'll be b-better," I whispered into her ear. We eventually pulled away, which allowed me to look into her dark brown eyes -just like mine- one last time. 

I stiffened as I looked at Thomas's face; tears rolled down his cheeks and his top lip trembled. I didn't have to think twice about hugging him. In an instant, I pulled him towards me and into my arms. Our sobs were the only sound, and people around us looked with sad expressions painting them. Their sad smiles assured us we would see each other again.

My right hand grasped his hair and my left pulled him closer to me from the top of his back. His arms were securely wrapped around my waist and his face was buried into my neck. We stayed like that for what felt like eternity. I wanted time to freeze. I couldn't bring myself to pull away.

I let my grip on him slack as pulled my head away from his shoulder and forced him to look me in the eyes. Thomas's eyes were glazed over in tears and some stray ran down his cheeks. I cupped his face in my hand and wiped his tears away.

"It's only for three months," I spoke, my voice wavering. "I love you, Thomas Edison, and I'm going to get better. For you. For mum. For everyone. No matter what happens, no matter how shit things may get, remember I love you. I'll always love you. I don't want you to be sad; I want you to concentrate on your exams and graduate. Okay?"

"I love you too, Newton Isaacs. I promise I'll try. I'll graduate. I'll do it all for you-for us. If your having a day where things seem like they won't get better then call me. I'll always be there to answer my phone. I love you so, so much," Thomas replied, sniffling every now and then.

The urge to kiss him was almost too powerful. The calming feeling of having his lips against mine sent my heart beat flying. I pulled away, knowing I would get addicted to it.

A nurse with short blonde hair walked in our direction, holding a clipboard in her hand. "Newton? I'm sorry to have to drag you away, but it's time to go."

I hastily pulled back from Thomas's embrace. The gate was buzzed open and I followed the nurse through. 

"Goodbye," I whispered one last time to my mum and Thomas. As we walked down the hallway, I looked back and flashed a smile at Thomas. 

I love you. I'll always love you, and I'll get better.

I promise you.

"I'm going to be your personal nurse; my name is Kayleigh," the nurse, Kayleigh, explained. "You've been assigned a roommate -his name is Winston. He's your age, and I think you'll get on very well."

"Okay," I replied.

"You're from England, aren't you? The accent makes it obvious."

"I'm from London. I moved here when I was young with my parents. My dad died, though, so now it's just my mum and I."

"And your boyfriend."

"And my friends."

Kayleigh was very sweet. She was open minded. I felt comfortable around her. We entered a room which was filled with roughly fifty people from the age of fourteen to twenty. I was lead to table of four other boys. One of which I was guessing was my roommate.

"Boys," Kayleigh spoke, "this is Newt. He's new."

"So you're Newt. I've been dying to meet my new roommate. I'm Winston," a tanned, tall, skinny boy piped up happily. He held out his hand, which I kindly shook.

"I'll let you get settled in. You're bags will be brought to your room, and maybe Chuck will show you around later," Kayleigh said. I thanked her quickly before taking a seat next to Winston.

"This is Alex, Greg and Chuck," Winston introduced me to everyone. 

We were all soon talking and laughing, helping me forget why I was really here. 

I don't think this place is going to be too bad.