Chapter Sixteen

There is no song for this chapter so I apologise for that. I made my playlist on Spotify public. It's called TFTSMS.

This is a little flashback chapter I wrote within an hour and a half. I haven't been motivated to write recently and I've been studying for exams so I won't be posting more than once a week now.

Enjoy!

Four years old

"This is Newt," Thomas heard an unfamiliar voice say. He looked up from the sandpit where he was currently playing with Minho and Teresa to see a blonde haired boy who he didn't recognise. His head was hung low as he stared at the ground and scuffed his feet on the floor.

Thomas continued to stare as the adults engaged in a conversation, occasionally directing their attention to Newt. The kindergarten teacher -Miss Violet- was writing notes furiously on a piece of paper as she spoke.

"Thomas," she called out, "can you come here for a moment please?"

Thomas put the bucket and spade back in the sandpit and quickly made his way over to Miss Violet. The blonde boy hid behind his mothers legs, seeming scared of Thomas. His mother ushered him forwards and stood with her hands in his shoulders.

"Thomas, this is Newt. He's new," the teacher explained.

"Hi, I'm Thomas," he chirped up.

"I'm Newt," the boy timidly replied.

Thomas giggled to himself, "You have a funny voice."

Newt smiled widely at Thomas before replying "I'm from London, in England."

Thomas didn't know where England was -he had never heard of it before- but he said 'cool' anyway.

"I want you to make Newt feel welcome, okay? Help him make some friends," Miss Violet said. Thomas nodded his head in reply before grabbing Newt's hand.

"C'mon, you can meet my friends," he said as he dragged him away with him. The adults chuckled behind them and muttered something about them being 'completely adorable'. As they approached the sandpit, both Minho and Teresa looked up. "This is Newt, he's new. Newt, this is Minho and Teresa. They're my friends, and they can be yours too, if you like."

"Hi," Newt smiled shyly. Thomas handed him a bucket and spade before grabbing one for himself.

"Why did you move from England?" He asked.

"I dunno, my parents said they wanted to move here because it looked better," Newt frowned. "I liked England. I like home. I don't think I'll ever go back, though."

"Why not?" Teresa piped up.

"It costs a lot of money to live there. Mummy and daddy had very good jobs but they couldn't afford it anymore," Newt explained. "But now they have better jobs over here, and they get paid more."

The four of them played in the sandpit until they got bored and moved on to something else. Thomas introduced Newt to the rest of his friends; Gally, Brenda, Alby and Frypan, who all took a liking to him.

They sat next to each other at lunch -the eight of them together. They continued to ask Newt questions like 'what was your favourite thing about England' and 'do you like America'. Newt managed to make them laugh a few times as well, and the teachers looked on at them in awe. The rest of the kids paid no attention to them and continued to eat their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.