Chapter Thirteen

Never Change by Tyler Joseph.

~I just want to take a moment to say that Twenty One Pilots are my favourite band and they've helped me through so many struggles. This song was written in 2007 by Tyler, 2 years before the band was formed. Please take a moment to just listen to the lyrics.

~I know nothing about American schools since I'm from Scotland so I apologise if I get things wrong. I know in America they start and finish earlier, the grades are different and I don't know what subjects you have. I don't know when the holidays are or when the exams are either.

~TW in this chapter! I will mark it where it starts and finishes.

Newt's POV

I feel tired.

I can't eat and I can't sleep. I don't know if it's the medication I'm on but nothing's working. Every inch of my body is exhausted. I have no energy to leave my bed and, when I do, it's usually to go to the bathroom.

For the past two days, my mum has brought up breakfast,  lunch and dinner, but I've barely touched it. Every mouthful makes me feel sick. A disappointed smile makes me feel guilty. I wish I could eat, I really do, but I can't.

When I was released from hospital two nights ago, Thomas was the one who carried me to the car. I was fast asleep by the time he tucked me into my bed. Mum told me he sat and watched for a couple of hours, making sure I was okay.

I'm so grateful for Thomas but he puts my health before his. He stresses himself over me. However, it's nice to talk to someone at three in the morning when neither of us are asleep. He came over yesterday after school. We sat and cuddled for hours; talking and admiring each other. His doe eyes illuminated with lust as they stared into mine.

We shared long lasting, passionate kisses, ones that stunned me permanently. I'm still thinking about them almost twenty four hours later. I await the moment Thomas walks through my bedroom door.

Instead, it's my mum. She's carrying a glass of water and a bottle of half empty pills in the other. We've barely spoken since I was released from hospital. It's not an awkward silence but there's something off between us.

"Have you slept today?" Mum asks. She was working until an hour ago. When she arrived back home she had emails to send and phone calls to make. She's been extremely busy with work over the past few months.

She's an admin assistant, working for the boss of the company. It pays well; she works Monday to Friday, six hours a day, and works from home at weekends. She's really good at her job and has specified in it for the past fifteen years. But, without my dad, it has been a bit more of a struggle.

He was a vet and the biggest source of money in the house came from his salary. Money has been spent carefully to avoid debts or bankruptcy. Thankfully, we're doing okay. I would apply for a job but with my mental state and injury right now I can't.

One day I will give back to mum.

I swallow the pills she left me on my bedside table before I answer her question; "I haven't. I can't sleep."

"Okay, love, but please try. Is Thomas coming over?" Mum asks.

"Yeah, he should be here soon," I reply, tiredness laced in my voice.

Mum nods her head curtly before walking out my room, closing the door behind her.

16:15, my clock reads. Where are you, Tommy?

As if on cue, my door is swung open and Thomas strides in, looking out of breath and about to collapse. I bite my lip, trying to keep my composure.