Chapter Eleven

Sick Boy by The Chainsmokers

~I don't know if this song fits with the chapter but I really like it.

Thomas's POV

My alarm clock's insufferable beeping wakes me immediately. I slam it as hard as I can without breaking it and groan loudly.

6:30am, it reads. Damn, I hate Monday's.

It's the same routine; stumble out of bed and into the shower without waking my parents, brush my teeth, dress in nearly all black clothing, pack my bags and grab a cereal bar or a slice of toast before I leave the house. The walk to school takes up most of my morning. I always make sure to be there fifteen minutes before first period.

I walk along the cobbled streets alone and glance at every house and car that passes by. I like to imagine what kind of people live in the houses surrounding me and what their story is, where they're from or what their job is. I know I'll never be accurate but it's fun to guess.

A girl to my right leaves her house and walks to her car -a Volvo, to be exact- with a handbag resting on her arm and white skinny jeans with a pale peach crop top that hugs her figure perfectly. She's recently graduated high school, her parents are loaded with money and right now she's going to meet with her friends for a coffee. She is going to University to study English Literature after the summer holiday's, I imagine.

Another woman to my left; she's mid forties, a fitness instructor and married with three children- two girls and a boy. She migrated from Pennsylvania twenty years ago to pursue a career and was successful. She enjoys reading and cooking, and spends her nights in front of the fire watching TV drama's.

The loud chatter of too many voices alerts me that school looms around the corner. Buses pull up and pupils flood out and head towards the main doors in search for their friends. I walk amongst the crowd, feeling myself getting shoved and pushed about.

Walking into the cafeteria, I spot Gally, Frypan, Alby, Minho, Brenda, Teresa and Newt. The perks of having a boyfriend; being able to smile without trying to hide anything behind it and laughing without embarrassment. I know Newt doesn't judge me for that anyway, but still.

I bite my cheek to stop myself from being obvious. I take a seat next to him and swing my backpack off my shoulders and on to the ground.

"Hey," I say over the commotion in the room. I intertwine my fingers with Newt's under the table and caress my thumb over his knuckle.

"You're both too cute," Teresa says in awe, to which Gally makes a gagging face at.

"I heard Mr Keller is in a pissy mood today, everybody's saying he's going to make us do fitness in gym class," Minho pipes up. "He's got that look on his face, y'know, like wants to blow up the school and everybody inside it."

We laugh at Minho's statement before Gally adds; "Well, if he's demonstrating burpees again, it's something I've got to see."

I recall the moment last week where Mr Keller fell flat on his face doing a burpee, he looked absolutely ridiculous. A roar of laughter escapes from all of us, knowing it's all we're thinking about.

"Mr Janson gave us so much homework on Friday, how can he expect us to finish an entire  ten page essay on Charles Darwin and the Theory of Evolution in just three nights. One of which I spent getting very drunk and the next spent recovering from a hangover," Alby whines.

Both he and Minho are amazing at Physics, so there's not doubt they could get that done in less than three hours. Yes, ten pages is a lot, but not when you write bigger than normal. It may be considered as cheating but it's got me out of detentions a countless amount of times.