Chapter Twenty Four

~I just finished rewatching Teen Wolf and I cried my eyes out for so long.

~I also finished watching 13 Reasons Why and I really enjoyed it. I cried really hard at the last episode and part of it made me feel sick to my stomach because it was so graphic. I'm not going to talk about it much in case you haven't seen it and because I know I'll get carried away.

~I've only got one exam left and that's in two weeks. I'm so glad to be finishing this stressful season then I get to go on holiday!

~This is quite a short chapter but I hope you enjoy it anyway. I'm aiming to finish this fic soon so I can publish the other one I've been working on. I hope you enjoy this anyway!

Newt's POV

The white walls looked less intense when combined with the sunset sky. Everything was calm. Relaxed. It made me feel almost tired. I'd lost count of how many drugs they'd been giving me since I arrived but whatever it was, they seemed to be working.

Aside from my rare depressive days or the itch to... you know, I'd been getting better. I enjoyed my sessions with Doctor Ava Paige; she was an open book and allowed me to speak whenever I wanted. She never pushed me to talk if I didn't want to. 

The only thing I hated was the food from the cafeteria. It reminded me of school; you'd you up with your plate and the 'mean looking lady' would give you a large spoonful of whatever that gunk was. I had wondered why most of the people there looked so frail, but now I understand. Hell, even I'm noticing more bones sticking out from my body.

I'd made friends with a few boys (Winston, Chuck, Gregg and Alex) and my only female friend was my nurse. Kayleigh. I caught a few girls looking in our direction and heard them whispering something about me, but I just smiled and ignored them. Winston kept telling me I should talk to one of them, but I refused. Although he was urging me he admitted they were kind of psychotic. 

"Dude, they're not so bad looking, maybe slightly crazy, but they're really nice. Why don't you try talking to one of them?" Winston asked, raising his eyebrows. We had been chatting in our room, getting to know each other a little better.

"No, I'm not interested," I replied, forcing a laugh.

"I see. Do you already have a girlfriend?" 

"No, but I have a boyfriend." 

Winston's face was one of surprise. His mouth was agape and his eyes were wide. 

"Now it makes sense," he broke the awkward silence. "What's his name?"

"Thomas. Him and my friends are visiting me tonight."

"That's awesome, man. Only my parents come to see me. My friends stopped talking to me after..." Winston trailed off. He was like me; he tried to take his own life, but he survived ad his parents put him here. We relate. We know when the other has a moment, and we know how to take care of each other.

"You should come with me. You'd really like my friends," I suggested.

Winston's eyes lit up like stars in the night sky. "Really? Do you really mean that?"

"Of course I do. Now, come on, let's go. It's almost visiting hours."

Winston and I had been sitting at a large, round table. I was fidgeting with my hands, and my leg bounced uncontrollably. Every other patient was anxious. The excitement I felt was faint. Nerves and anxiety were dominant, but I knew they wouldn't be for much longer.

There was a loud buzz then the creak on an iron door opening. Visitors piled into the room, making their way to their family or friends. I looked around for Thomas. I stood up, trying to get a better look.

And there he was.

His chocolate brown eyes were visible from where I stood. I smile so wide broke out on my face, hurting my cheeks. My feet seemed to be glued to the floor, unwilling to move. Time slowed to a remarkable speed as Thomas approached me. 

His arms wrapped round my waist at the same time mine snaked around his neck. I pulled him impossibly closer to me, feeling his warm breath on my ear. Laughter filled with sobs escaped the both of us. I didn't want to let him go. Ever.

You know that feeling you get when you're reunited with a friend after not seeing them for a really long time? The urge to hug them tightly and tell them how much you missed them? The tears you have to hold back so you don't look like you're being over dramatic?

It felt like that. 

Seconds felt like days and, before I knew it, we had pulled away. 

"I missed you so much," I said, emotion littering my voice.

"I missed you too, Newtie," Thomas whispered back.

I had wiped my eyes before greeting the rest of my friends, each of them saying 'we missed you loads' or 'how are you?' The smile never disappeared off my face, even when I noticed something was off with Teresa. Still, I embraced her and acted as if I didn't noticed. 

"Guys, this is Winston, my roommate," I introduced Winston after neglecting him for a few minutes. "I wanted you to meet him."

"How are you, man?" Minho asked, reaching out his hand for Winston to shake. He gladly took it, a smile glowing on his skinny, tanned face.

"So, what's life like here?" Brenda asked.

"Really good. I've made a few friends. I'm getting better. Slowly, but I am," I replied.

We had eventually sat down. I was next to Thomas, holding his hand under the table, and Winston was at the other side of me, blethering away to Mingo and Alby. They seemed content, so I left them. 

"I hope you're not forgetting about us," Thomas joked.

"How could I ever forget about you?" I teased.  Everyone else gagged. Thomas and I weren't 'coupley' in public, but there was the odd occasion.

"You look really thin," Teresa commented, concern laced in her voice. "Have you been eating?"

"Yeah, but not a lot. The food here is terrible, so I barely eat three meals a day. It's usually only the fruit or vegetables I can actually swallow," I reply.

"That's bad, Newt. What does everyone else think of it?" Gally joined in the conversation.

"They all say the same. Nearly every body looks ghost white because they haven't been fed properly. But don't worry; usually there's something good on weekends," I tried to reason with them.

"As long as you're sure," Teresa said. 

Our hour and a half seemed to go by way too fast. We talked and laughed about little things, and even Winston joined in. I was so glad to see my friends getting along with him, inviting him into the group. 

Sadly, the nurses had announced visiting times were over and everyone had to leave. I took a moment to say goodbye to everyone individually.

"It's not goodbye forever," I told them.

When I finally got to Thomas, I cupped his face in my hands and pressed a gentle kiss to his lips. I was glad to feel him kiss back -even just for a second- before pulling away to look him in the eye.

"I love you, Tommy," I said. 

"I love you too, Newt," he replied.

That was all we needed. It was our key to survival. The hope we gave each other was three small words that meant the most to us. 

When I get out of here, I will make sure you know how much I love you, Thomas Edison, I thought. I promise.