Chapter Ninteen: A Light in the Dark

"AHHHH! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!? AHHH!" Sakura cried; falling to her knees under Nayumi's stare.

"It's called a Death Connection. You now feel everything I do." Nayumi replied; her fingers digging into the dirt as she still laid on her stomach.

"Sakura, can you withstand this?" Naraku asked.

"My demon body will be able to outlast that of a human." Sakura replied; falling to her stomach as well.

"We shall see." Nayumi said; teeth grited so tightly it looked like her jaw was about to break.

"Oh, now I see why you're keeping that dog demon at bay. If he kills me then you die too." Sakura said; reading her mind.

"I'm keeping him safe. If he kills you then, yes, I'll die, but not like a normal person would. Spiritual powers would be released from my body. Powers so strong that any demons in these lands will be instantly purified. I will cover leagues of land, and consume thousands of demons. Yourself included, Naraku." Nayumi said.

"How can you?" Naraku said as Nayumi pushed herself off the ground.

"She broke the Death Connection!" Sakura exclaimed as the pain disapated.

"Does that mean you aren't causing her pain anymore?" Naraku asked; dodging her punch.

"No! I am! She shouldn't be able to move like this!" Sakura yelled.

"You both shouldn't underestimate me!" Nayumi yelled; managing to grab Naraku's hand. As their hands touch Naraku stopped moving.

"You should be paying more attention to me!" Sakura yelled and Nayumi fell to one knee.

        "Quick, Naraku, get away!" Sakura yelled. The curse was now physically manifesting around Nayumi. Pink and purple waves of electricity were flowing around her, and yet she still managed to stand up again.

"You're weak." Nayumi said; releasing Naraku's hand and standing to face Sakura.

"How!" Sakura yelled.

        "Otaku!" Sesshomaru yelled; bursting from the trees.

"Otaku?" Sakura said; shocked that she never noticed the slayer dying.

"Her intentions where to make the Death Connection with Naraku, but she perished before it could happen." Otaku shrugged; dodging Sesshomaru. "Humor me, Naraku, why did you become still when the girl touched you?"

"Shock." Naraku growled, but you could tell he was lying.

"She was such a stupid child. She could have easily broken the curse Sakura put on her, but instead she attempted to take Sakura out. The Death Connection is what killed her. She would have never gotten close enough to the afterlife had she just used a spell. Now she's probably being ripped limb from limb by the spirits of everything she's killed." Otaku laughed

"I'm sure she's fine." Naraku replied, "She will surly take over you again soon."

        "Tell me, Inu no Taisho, why are you helping me?" Nayumi asked as she warded off another spirit.

"For Sesshomaru. You have taught him patience, compassion, and you are one of the reasons he will master the Tensegia. You are someone he has to protect." Sesshomaru's father replied; cutting down a spirit with ease. 

"My sister taught him those things. Not me." Nayumi replied. 

"She merely cracked the door. You are the one who burst through it." Inu no Taisho laughed. 

"What are my chances of being able to push Otaku back in his cage?" Nayumi asked. 

"He will step aside. He does not wish to control your body." he answered. 

"What?" Nayumi asked. 

"You must go now." Inu no Taisho grabbed her by the hips and threw her up. 

"Now you must teach him how to love." Inu no Taisho whispered. 

        "Move aside, Otaku." Nayumi said. 

"It seems Nayumi is ready to return." Otaku laughed. Nayumi's body fell limp on the ground when Otaku loosened his grip. 

"I thought you wished to take back you body?" Otaku asked as they stood inside her body. 

"I must ask. Why are you not fighting me?" Nayumi asked. 

"Your feelings for this demon are strange. I merely wish to know more about it." Otaku shrugged then shoved her back; making her fall into her body. 

        "You're okay." Sesshomaru said when she opened her eyes. 

"Can't get rid of me that easily, dog." Nayumi replied; pushing away from his body.

"Do you have any control left over her?" Naraku asked Sakura.

"No. It's all gone. She broke free again." the last part was a whisper.

"Then we must not stay." Naraku said.

"Don't you dare leave, Naraku!" Nayumi yelled after him; running towards him.

"Ah!" she yelled as she hit a barrier and was thrown back. She hadn't noticed her spell was broken.

"It seems my barrier is back, and you don't have to resolve to break it again." Naraku laughed.

"Wanna bet? Guah. Kwa-" she started but Sesshomaru stopped her.

"Let  him go." Sesshomaru ordered.

"Why did you stop me?" Nayumi asked.

"Because you just died, stupid." Sesshomaru said; his teeth were clenched.

"So? It's not like it's the first time." Nayumi shrugged; brushing herself off, but flinching from her wounds.

"But it could have been the last." Sesshomaru replied.

"You honestly think a demon as weak as Sakura could kill me for good?" Nayumi laughed.

"I think one wrong move and it does't really matter how strong they are." he said and started to walk away. Nayumi started heading in the direction that Naraku went.

"Where are you going?" Sesshomaru asked.

"After Naraku." Nayumi replied.

"Rin needs you." Sesshomaru said, then started walking again.

        "Listen. I'll go see her, but only long enough to get my sword. Then I'm leaving again. You can either follow or stay. I don't really care. Rin stays in the village either way." Nayumi said; stepping in front of him and making him stop.

I don't have much time left in this world. I must kill Naraku before I'm forced to leave. Nayumi thought to herself.

        Nayumi, explain your feeling for this demon. Otaku said as Sesshomaru and Nayumi walked back to the village. 

He's a demon. My feelings towards demons are clear. It's pure hate. Nayumi replied.

I can obviously feel that one, but there's another feeling. There's a small light in the middle of the dark emotion. You feel something else towards this demon, but you are unable to show it to him. You love this demon, but you cannot show it because of your deep seeded hatred for all demons. Otaku said; shocking her.

What do you mean I love him? Nayumi asked.

Don't you feel it? Otaku asked.

Nayumi stopping mid step. She did feel it. She always felt it, but there was also the disgust that came with every thought of it.

"Slayer?" Sesshomaru asked.

"Took a wrong step." Nayumi said; starting to walk again.

        Every priestess is reborn, and if one has left unfinished business then their rencarnation finds it's way back to that time. There are multiple wells that connect to the bone eaters well in Kaede's village. A version of you that is free to love will find it's way here. Otaku said.

What are you saying? Nayumi asked.

You cannot give your love to him, but you can give your life. That was the only reply Otaku gave her.