Chapter 9: Broken Smile

Start from the beginning

"I... I..." she couldn't.  She couldn't break his heart.  She couldn't get rid of the Ash that made her day brighter, the Ash that everyone loved, the Ash that she loved.  She turned around and ran towards the forest.

I can't.  I'm so sorry, you'll understand right?

"Serena?  Serena!  STOP!  You know it's dangerous-" came Ash's voice, but she wouldn't have it. She needed a place to run to.

"I'm sorry!"

........................................................................................................................

After a couple minutes, Serena found herself a clearing where she could think properly.  You have to go back.  This was dumb.  You know it's not safe out here.

Footsteps sounded from behind her, almost confirming her worst fear.  The Umbreon, the Umbreon, run!

However, as she turned around, the only Pokemon she saw were her Sylveon and Espeon, both looking worried.  Sylveon wrapped one of its feelers around her wrist, and Espeon started rubbing its head on her leg.  She smiled.

"Thanks, you guys," she said gratefully.  She felt something cold land on her arm, and looked at it to see a snowflake land on it, then quickly melt.  She looked up, and to her horror, more snowflakes were falling, faster and faster.

Perfect.  Now you're caught in a storm.

Suddenly, it became very cold, and she shivered.  "I-I should have brought my jacket," she stuttered, wrapping her arms around herself in an attempt to gain some warmth.  The one time I need Braixen...

She sat down on a nearby log, Sylveon and Espeon coming to cuddle beside her, trying to keep all of them warm.  I should go back.  Go back, and tell Ash what's really going on.

Except...

I'm not going to be able to do it.

I can't-

Espeon suddenly started whimpering, and when she looked ahead, a shadowy figure was in the bushes.  She stood up, Sylveon hopping in front of both of them.  Growling, the figure stepped out.

An Umbreon.

I don't know if this is the one, but I'm not taking any chances.

"Sylveon!" she called, unwrapping its feeler from her wrist.  "You have an advantage over dark types.  We can win easily!  I choose you!"

"Sylveon!" it said, fired up.  Though it didn't usually battle, Serena had faith in it.

"Fairy Wind!" she yelled, and Sylveon conjured up a blast of pink wind, and aimed it at the Umbreon.  Not expecting it, it fell over, clearly taking damage.  It then growled something at Espeon (which caused her to shrink back even further) and aimed a Confuse Ray at Sylveon.

"Sylveon!  Dodge!" she shouted, and was relieved to see it dodge the attack.  "Alright, Fairy Wind, again!" another Fairy Wind was blasted at the Umbreon, who skillfully dodged it, and aimed an Iron Tail at Sylveon.  Sylveon, not expecting the attack, took the damage, and fell on the snow-covered ground.

"Sylveon!" Serena called.  "Are you okay?" Of course she's not okay!

"It's okay, Sylveon, you did your best," Serena said gently, stroking its head.  "I-"

Serena suddenly was aware of a heated conversation between Espeon and the Umbreon, and from the way that Espeon was cowering in fear, Serena didn't like it one bit.

"Hey!" Serena stepped in front of Espeon.  She glared at the Umbreon.  "Cut it out!"

Suddenly, Umbreon whipped its head towards her.  Serena gulped; she didn't like the look it was giving her.  She shivered; both from cold and from fear.  Snow kept falling; it blurred her vision and blanketed her hair.  She turned.  Definitely time to go back.

But, before she could even do anything, she saw the Umbreon's ring glowing red, bright red, just like what Ash said happened before he...

GET OUT NOW!

Suddenly, light shone in her eyes.  

She screamed.

Then it all went black.

Ash

"What happened with Serena, Clemont?" he was asking.  "And what's the thing that won't happen to me?"

His friend sighed.  "That's for Serena to tell you, not me."

"Maybe someone should go get her," Ash said nervously.  He looked up at the now dark sky; it was snowing heavily now; last he checked, Serena hadn't brought a jacket, and she would be cold, scared, and alone.  "I'll go get her."

Clemont shook his head.  "No, Ash, I-"

A scream resonated through the forest, sending shivers through Ash's spine, but then gasped when he recognized who it belonged to.

Serena!

Okay, that's all for today!!  Hope you all enjoyed this chapter!  Next up will be Chapter 10, so watch out for that!  Also-

OH MY GOSH I ALMOST FORGOT

I just remembered how I didn't clarify their ages for this story!  Sorry about that!  Ash, Serena, and Clemont are around 16 and Bonnie is now around 12 years old, and is a Pokemon Trainer.  SORRY!  Hope this clarifies things.

Anyways, now for our Pokemon Question of the Day!  Since we've been talking about Eeveelutions a lot in this chapter, which one is your favourite??  Comment your thoughts below!

For me, just look at my username and guess-

SYLVEON IS MY FAVOURITE EEVEELUTION

*Ahem* Well, that's all for now!  Have an awesome day/night!

Stay tuned ;)