Chapter 9: Broken Smile

Hi, everyone!  I hope you all had an awesome weekend!  As promised, here's Chapter 9!  Hope you all enjoy!  (This will hopefully be a shorter chapter)

Serena

The rest of the day went by in a flash.  She, along with Ash, had baked a wonderful batch of PokePuffs, and with the help of their Pokemon, they decorated them wonderfully, with homemade icing and the berries that Serena had picked earlier.  She remembered laughing as Sylveon had lifted Ash up with her feelers, then fretting over him when he fell face first into one of the PokePuffs.  Those... those were some good times.

Even though they'd had fun, that terrible feeling had lasted for the entire day.  "Ash won't get better."  Just looking at him, watching his smiling face, then remembering how he wouldn't...

I don't want to think about that anymore.  He will get better, right?

But... what Clemont said.  The chances are small.  Maybe it's just time for me to accept it, and tell him the truth, if Clemont hasn't yet.  After dinner-

A tail flicked her, and when she turned, she saw Espeon calling her, gesturing to Clemont.  Turning red with embarrassment, she realized that her friend was talking to her and she had spaced out and ignored him.  "S-Sorry, Clemont," she stuttered quickly.  He smiled.

"Don't worry, Serena, I was just talking about how my latest invention will help with baking your PokePuffs," he explained.  "It will really help with..." Serena stopped listening after that; unless it was actually tested to not blow up, she did not trust her precious PokePuffs inside of Clemont's machine.

"Y-Yeah, Clemont," she said awkwardly.  "I'll try it out soon."

"I'm sure it will do great," Ash piped up, sitting on the table next to Serena (it still made her blush a little when he deliberately chose that spot next to her).  "Science is so amazing!"

He still says that, after all this time...

After all that's happened...

How can he?

How can he be so happy?

HOW CAN HE?

He won't even-

"Hey, Serena, are you alright?" came Ash's voice, and she looked at him to see a concerned look on his face.  He's concerned about me.  He shouldn't be.  You're taking away his happiness.

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine," she murmured, then continued to eat in silence.  She willed for someone to talk, to do something, but it seemed that after she stopped talking, everyone else decided to stop too.  After a couple minutes, though, everyone finished, and Serena couldn't have been more relived.  She quickly collected the dishes and washed them, longing to get back to her tent where she could be alone for a bit.  

Unfortunately, she didn't expect Clemont to intercept her on her way there.  "Hey, Serena," he said cheerfully.

She eyed him warily.  "What's up?" she asked him.

Clemont got straight to the point, looking at Ash.  "Have you told him yet?" he questioned her.  "Because I-"

"No, I should be the one to tell him," Serena said, shaking her head.  "I mean, I want to tell him.  I don't know why, but he needs to hear it from me, that he probably won't-"

"I won't what?" Serena turned to see Ash standing on the picnic table, clearly listening to every word of their conversation.  "Serena, come on, tell me." his voice sounded joking, but she knew he was being dead serious.  She started backing away.