CHAPTER 27

When I come out of the door, Josephine is waiting for me with a scowl on her thin lips.
"Come, " she practically sneers.
I follow not wanting to start a confrontation of any kind. And I was starving. Food before grouches am I right or am I right? Anyway we descend the stairs but not before I touch my mothers portrait with the tips of my fingers. I hear some chuckling, giggling and murmurs from some part of the house. Josephine leads us to where the sounds are coming from.

Arriving I see George with his mother murmuring something to Antony who had a serious look on his face. Next to Antony was a teenage boy who was playing with a little child. She was giggling gleefully when he blew raspberries on her small belly. He chuckled happily when he heard her squealing. I smiled softly while watching them. I already missed the twins.
"Oh Lynn you are here. Have a seat and lets eat, " George told me. I sat across Antony and our gaze connected for a minute. I tore my gaze away when his got too intense for me. The little girl was watching me curiously. She had two pigtails in her jet black hair. Her stormy gray eyes full of innocence and wonder,  watched me for a while before she noticed I was watching her too and she blushed and looked away.  I chuckled and her head shot towards my direction.
"Hi, " I waved at her. She said a low hi and hid under her chair. The teenage boy laughed and got her.
"Am sorry she's so shy around new people," he said chuckling while the little girl hid her face on the crook of his neck.
" Am Jake, seventeen years old and I go to Kings dale high. And this little chipmunk is Kacey. She is five and Barbara's grand daughter, " He finished up bouncing her on his knees.
"Oh.. Am Mar...Lindsay..am Lindsay, " I said deciding to go with my biological name. He gave me a charming smile then continued playing with Kacey.
I feel someone watching me. Having some clue on who it is, I ignore it.

"So Lynn did you love your room?" George asks.
I look at him smiling so huge I was afraid I was going to split my face in two.
"Yes its amazing thank you, "
"Anything for you sweety, " my grandmother said smiling sweetly at me. I smiled back and that's when I decided to let my eyes wonder over the dining table. There were two other men on the table. One elderly and another middle aged. The elderly had deep blue eyes with salt and pepper hair which was combed back neatly. He had on a black suit with a navy blue tie that made his eyes shine more. He had smiling lines on his face and his eyes were warm.
"That is our Butler, Mr James Wright. He's been with us for 25 years. He's practically family. If you need a tour of the mansion, look for him, " Father said smiling at him warmly.

The middle aged man was watching me with a calculative eye. He had a set of jungle green eyes that had some golden specks in it. He had sandy brown hair that was messily flopped on his head and a long nose that was slightly crooked as if broken before. He was clad on a dark suit and a black tie with a white button up shirt. His aura screamed mystery and danger. But his eyes were not cold. He was still regarding me with warm calculative eyes when father said,
"That is Roman Valencio. He is our head of security. He has been with us for five years. If you need to go out take him with you."

That's when I saw the little earpiece on his right ear. He nodded his head in acknowledgement. A plump woman with gray hair that was put up in a bun came in followed by other people carrying bowls containing food. She kissed the little girls cheek and she giggled.

"And that is Barbara. She is our head chef. Without her we will all be starving, " Jake says trying to snatch a lamp chop that was on a bowl she was placing on the table. Barbara slapped his hand away muttering a 'behave your self ' before she sat next to Kacey. Jake pouted his lips and looked towards Josephine, "Mum Barbara is being mean, " he says.

"Mum? She's your mother?!" I burst out before I could control myself. Everyone on the table looks at me. Father has an amused look on his face while Josephine looks at me with a scowl.
"Yeah am his mother. Got a problem with that?" She asks rudely.
"Urm...no? I mean its not like I thought you were barren or something like that....sorry that came out wrong..what I want to say is.." I ramble.
"Do you even know what you want to say, " Jake asks smirking.
"No lets just eat, " I say blushing. People start serving themselves and I pile my plate with everything I see. I feel eyes watching me and I shrug,
"What? Am a growing girl, " I smile sheepishly. Everyone chuckles. Even Antony, surprise surprise. Before I put the first spoonful in my mouth,  a voice quietens everyone and makes me go stiff.
"Don't you think you're huge enough, " Josephine says scowling in disgust at me. Oh hell no. This grouch needs to know she can't disrespect me.
"Well...Josephine, " I spit her name with venom and the table quietens further, "excuse me for being too huge for your standards but I was in a near death experience and was stuck in a hospital for almost a month. But am going to eat my soul out in my fathers house and if you have a problem with it sue me, " I end eyeing her challenging her to say anything.
Her eyes are in shock. Antony has a guilty look and father is furious.
"Josephine you better watch your tongue next time you address my daughter,  I don't care how long you have been here I won't tolerate any disrespect towards her. Don't forget who you work for and you are not irreplaceable either. Understood?" Father says, his voice so cold I can feel it in my bones.

"Yes sir, " Josephine says stiffly.
"Okay lets eat, " grandmother says clapping her hands to reduce the tension in the room. Soon enough everyone is back to eating and murmuring to each other. I look up from my food to see Antony still watching me with guilty eyes. I shake my head trying to tell him its not his fault and he nods his head. Then I pig out my food and soon enough am in my heaven of bed sleeping the events of the day off.

***
Comment and vote
😘😘😘