CHAPTER 6

Jody is a bundle of excitement and love. She chewed my ear off with stories of her childhood,how her older brother used to prank her and how he is cold and not himself these days.

She has two boys,twins to be precise. Matthew and Luke. They are seven years. She describes them as double trouble and a bundle of cheekiness. When she spoke of them,there was admiration and adoration sparkling in her eyes. Her lips would be lifted up into a smile when she continued remembering and speaking of them.

Just speaking of them made me curious and giddy to see them. I missed Michael immensly that i felt my heart aching for his smile and kind eyes. I loved kids for their innocent eyes and hearts that at times they made me believe in angels just looking at them. I couldn't wait to see them. She also mentioned that Dave was her husband. Yes the Dave I almost collapsed with fear when I saw him.

"Okay,enough of me and my never ending events in life. Tell me something about yourself. And please just talk to me so I may know the way forward to helping you out,okay?" Jody said looking at me with gentleness and a soothing voice.

My mind was a turmoil. Could I possibly trust her? I mean I trusted Dibali and look where that got me. But Jody is not like that,I can feel it but that doubt was still at the back of my mind. I would have to tell someone sooner or later to avoid complications later on when I would need the help more. With that in mind,i nodded to her for confirmation.

She looked relieved I was ready to talk but I was only going to answer the questions that would not deal so much with my past.
"What is your name?" She asked curiously.
"Maria," I answered my voice hoarse and foreign even to my eyes. I noted my accent came out thick.
"Maria..wonderful name like our virgin mary's name. What is your surname,"she continued watching me with interest. Her question caught me off guard and I frowned a little. I was always known as Maria Dibali but I don't want anything to do with that thing again.

"I don't have one,"I answered slowly my frown deepening.
"Where are you from?"
"I was born in a small village in Africa in a country known as Kenya. Later on when I was twelve I lived in Tanzania upto the last six months before you found me in your ship."
"Why were you in the ship hiding?"
"Something very bad happened to me while I was still in Tanzania. I had enough of it so I ran away one night, when I saw some of your people loading some goods so I hid in them,"I said while emotions clogged my throat making my voice more hoarse and my eyes blurry. Suddenly a thought came to me,"You won't send me back right?!," I said clutching her hand tightly and looking at her with vulnerability and defeat.
"No,no. I won't send you back, I promise. You will stay with me,"Jody said soothingly and I relaxed after listening to her words.

"Does your family know you ran away?"Jody asked carefully choosing her words well.
"I don't have a family. The one I used to stay with trafficked me away from my home town when I was twelve," i said emotionless and voice blank. Jody's eyes grew to the size of saucers with shock and I saw many emotions run through her eyes. The one that stood out more was sympathy and I never loved sympathy.

"It's okay am fine now,so don't pity me please,"I said in a low voice while looking away from her so I would not see how pathetic she took me for now. She took my chin in her finger and made me look at her and i saw understanding and sadness.
"It's okay Maria,am here for you. And I don't pity you,am just sad. Nobody deserves to go through that. That is enough questions for today. We have arrived home at last." Jody said pointing her finger outside the window directing me to look outside.

Outside was a four story mansion that looked like a five star hotel and I got a little confused. She lives in a hotel?
"What are we doing in a hotel?" I asked curiously still gaping at the beautiful mansion infront of me. Jody laughed whole heartedly and looked at me amusedly.
"Maria this is not a hotel. It's my house," she said still looking amused that i thought it was a hotel. I smiled with embarrassment and said,"Well in my defence,where  am from,buildings this big are only the five star hotels and the malls."

"Well okay. Lets get in,it's abit chilly tonight,"Jody said while grabbing my arm and pulling me to the entrance of the mansion.