CHAPTER 3.

I was gasping for breath when I was sure no one was following me. That was when reality hit me like a bus,"Oh my God,am finally free. But where do I even go from here?As far as I know,my mother is dead,My biological father is overseas and I don't know if I even have relatives," I whisper to myself worriedly. I didn't have anything else on me apart from the sandals I've owned since I was fifteen,the little skimp of a dress I had on did not provide any warmth and I had no money on me.I was so caught up in my thoughts I didn't notice it was getting dark already.I quickened my pace hoping to find a secure place to sleep for the night because in this God forsaken place I knew as a home was a very unsafe place at night. My mind was blowing up with thoughts of where I would be going when the sun rises. I looked around me and to my amazement I was the shore of the Indian ocean. Wow how far have I walked?I looked around panicking a little because if anything was to happen to me here no one would hear my cries of help.
At a small distance,I saw a ship. There were some men loading some goods into it. An idea popped into my mind that gave me chills in my spine,"if i were to get into......"I stopped my train of thoughts. But then again,if I were to get into that ship and sail away with it,what have I got to loose? With that thought I watch the men like a hawk. When they went to take the other goods so they can load them,I found myself bolting towards the ships entrance. Once inside the gigantic thing I hid behind the largest stalk of goods and kept very still.
When my body was almost at rest and relaxed I heard unfamiliar voices in a distance making me stiffen."Am telling you,I saw someone running in here,"The first unfamiliar voice said.It was manly and very rough with a thick accent I was not familiar with.Definately not African.
"And am telling you there's nobody here,come on we are already running late as it is.This goods only have about six months before they spoil,"The second voice said.His voice was way deeper than the first one's and his accent was more pronounced. He spoke really quickly and I had a hard time understanding him.
I heard their footsteps fading away and finally disappeared. I released a breath I didn't know I was holding and finally let myself relax. Even though I was on the floor,I was really comfortable with it. I closed my eyes trying to welcome the feeling of peace but souless dark brown eyes that haunt my dreams showed themselves to me again. My eyes flew open while my breath hitched. My heart beat picked up and my hands were now clammy. Those eyes haunt me everyday. They look really familiar but so...dead.Suddenly I heard movement and I almost squealled in fear. Now I felt as though we were on something light carrying us towards a flow that was unseen. That was when it clicked we were moving.
I found myself grinning in anticipation and happiness. Finally,I was free. One the goods had on a wrapper noted canned sardines. I licked my lips in hunger and opened up the box. I stuff my face with the sardines until I felt like an expectant mother. I closed my eyes to sleep and for the first time in ten years I did not see those soulless dark brown abyss. I was finally at peace.