20-shy

The drive to Olive Garden was filled with fun. I never realized how much fun my Aunt Gia is. Before I came to Georgia, I had only met her a few times when she came to New York to visit. We never really had a chance to get to know eachother.
     "Wait, then you guys jumped off the cliff?" I asked as we stepped out the car.
     "Well, I did. Your mom was too scared."
     "She's such a chicken," I laughed.
      "Eh," Aunt Gia started. "I broke my arm hitting the water. She was probably right. But then again she was a terrible babysitter." I chuckled and closed the car door. We began walking to the door and Aunt Gia grabbed her phone. She looked at it and smiled.
      "Who's that?" I asked. She shook her head and smiled more. "Just this guy I work with."
     "Wait, you work?" I asked. "How are you always home?"
     "I sell skincare products online," she explained. "And he's my coworker who lives about 15 minutes away." We walked into Olive Garden and waited for a table.
    "How old is he?" I asked. She shrugged.
     "About 30."
    "And you're 32!" I exclaimed.
     "Paige, what are you saying?" She chuckled.
     "Do you like this guy?" I asked. She shook her head.
      "No, no we're friends." She answered. A waitress walked up to us.
      "You can follow me," she said. She showed us to our table with two chairs directly across from eachother.
     "How did you two meet?" I asked. Aunt Gia laughed.
     "I got into a fight with a client on the phone and he defended me."
     "Aww!" I smiled.
"Paige!" She laughed. A waiter came over and dropped off a bowl of salad and bread.
"Thank you," Aunt Gia smiled.
"Come on Aunt Gia," I begged. "Do you like him?"
"Wow you're not gonna let this go, are you?" She asked. I shook my head.
"I just recognize true love," I shrugged. Aunt Gia picked up a menu and pretended to read it.
"Let's just say I feel the same way about him as you feel about Noah. You can decide what that means." My mouth dropped. How did she know? "I can hear you talking to Sadie," she shrugged. "You talk pretty loudly."
      "You win," I laughed.
      "Does he like you back?" She asked hopefully. I shook my head. "How do you know?"
      "I accidentally let it slip," I sighed. "And he didn't do anything about it."
      "That doesn't mean anything!" She assured.
      "What do you mean?" I asked.
      "I mean boys are shy. So are girls, but boys in particular. They're not in touch with their feelings and even if they are they don't want to admit it."
      "So you think Noah might like me?" I asked quietly. She nodded.
      "I mean, I haven't talked to him much, but I definitely think there's a chance. A bigger chance than Dylan had with Sadie at least." I laughed and choked on the lettuce I was eating.
      "How did you know about Dylan?" I questioned.
      "He's almost as obvious about it as you," Aunt Gia said smirking. I rolled my eyes and threw my straw at her. She laughed and threw hers back to me.

Sadie's POV
———————

     "Why?" I asked Noah as he paced across my room. I know I said I was gonna invite Millie, but I had to talk to Noah. Did he really not ask out Paige?
     "I don't know!" She sighed. "I guess I just really like being friends with her. If we're dating it's kind of awkward to call her my best friend."
      "Hey!" I yelled. "She's my best friend!" He put up his hands surrendering. "But i get it. But you're also really annoying."
      "Well think of it this way," Noah started. "If we date, we either have to break up or get married and I doubt we're getting married." I thought of what Noah was saying. If they started dating, they'd have to break up eventually.
"But it would be such a great experience in your life! She's so sweet and you guys are perfect together!" I pointed out.
"Trust me, I know," he blushed. "She's the coolest girl I've ever met but it's like she's not even trying."
"Then ask her out!" I laughed.
"But she's a cool friend. We're so young, it would be awkward dating. My friends who date barely talk to their girlfriends."
"But you guys wouldn't be like that!" I assured. "You've had immediate chemistry since the plane ride."
"I know," Noah sighed sitting on my bed and burying his head in his arms. "I can't stop thinking about it."
"Aww," I said and sat next to him putting my arm around him. "My little Noah is all grown up."
"Shut up," he mumbled into his arms. "I need serious advice, Sadie." He lifted his head and looked me in the eyes. "You're her best friend, you know her the best. What is the right decision?" Wow, talk about pressure. If I make the right decision, two of my closest friends will be happy. But if I make the wrong decision, they'll both be upset. Of course I wanted Noah to ask her out, but I needed to put my thought aside and think of what was best for the two of them. After a few seconds that seemed like minutes, I finally thought of a reasonable idea.
      "Maybe just give it some time?" I suggested. He nodded.
      "Good idea. I'm gonna wait it out through this week of table reads. Then I'm gonna either ask her out, or stay friends." I nodded. "Thanks Sadie." He hugged me and sighed.
      "No problem," I said returning his hug. "But whatever you do," I started. "Please don't hurt her." He nodded but I knew this would be one of the hardest weeks of Noah's, Paige's, and my lives