"I've always known. Is that why you're my friends because I don't need your pity." I know my words were cold. It killed me to even say them out loud but I had to protect myself. I didn't need anyone around who did want to be.

"Bitch, you couldn't get rid of us if you wanted to." Sam was laughing. Kelly started chuckling and finally I joined in.

They had been there for years. I didn't want them to go. I didn't want to be alone but I always had my guard up. It bothered me that I had never known they were vampires. The signs were there at times but they drank and seemed to get drunk. I never saw their eyes change.

"How did you hide it so well?" The thought of me being able to do the same gave me some relief.

"Years of practice, we were trained to do so. Don't beat yourself up you're not exactly in control of your vampire side." Kelly explained. She wasn't wrong. I knew I could be inhumanly strong at times but mostly when I was angry.

"Why did we run?" My curiosity was driving me insane. It wouldn't have been the first time some vampire tried to enslave me. It usually ended with me ripping their heads off. It was only twice and they were random rogues. I blacked out both times and when I came to, their heads were no longer attached to their bodies.

"We had a visit from royalty." Kelly shook her head as she spoke.

"Who?" I needed to know.

"The Queen. It's unclear why she showed up. New York hasn't had problems for years." Sam added. "She caught your scent quickly."

His words made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

"Does she know what I am? Did she see me?" There was slight panic in my voice and Sam caught on quickly.

"I don't believe she knew you or what you are but she was definitely interested in getting closer. She was watching you."

I gripped the steering wheel tightly. I have the money saved to run. All I needed to do was take it. Sam's voice interrupted my thought as he continued talking.

"She didn't seem aggressive. It was more like she was intrigued."

"She wasn't there to seek you out Lydia." Kelly added. "She was surprised by your scent."

"Maybe I should speak to her." I interjected.

"No. Remember she's was the ruler the executed your father Lydia." Kelly countered.

My knuckles were white from the death grip on my steering wheel. It took me some time to calm down enough to speak.

"Tomorrow. If she's there again. I will isolate her and I will speak to her. She killed my father. Sent my mother into hiding and kept me from a normal fucking life."

The tension in the car was high. They knew better to interject at the moment. My eyes were red. My anger was boiling over and I was still speeding towards my apartment.

When we arrived I showed them where they could stay. My place wasn't huge, New York City rent is ridiculous and I was saving every penny in case I had to bail.

"There's two guest rooms. The bathrooms there." I pointed down the hall.

I walked directly to my room closing the door behind me.

After undressing I collapsed onto my bed knowing I wasn't going to be doing much sleeping tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning I could hear voices in my living room so I got ready and headed out to speak to them. We needed a plan and we were running out of time.

The truth is I'm tired of running. My mother kept me isolated for most of my life. Home schooled, private college, I liked where I am. It's not much but at least I have friends and a home where I can be myself.

"We were thinking," Sam spoke first. "Maybe it isn't the best idea for you to get close enough to speak to her."

"She may want you as hers Lydia". Kelly added.

I pondered the thought briefly. The note that my mother gave me was always on my mind. I can't help but wonder who wrote it.

"She can't. Not without my consent. And if she attempts to we can run. I need to know why she killed him. I want her to know that I know. I want her to know that I am not a possession. I will kill her and anyone else who tries to take me."

"It's not that easy. She's strong Lydia. And even if we succeed it would be treason. We would never be able to stop running." Sam voice seemed to crack a little.

This wasn't there problem. I know they want to help me but maybe I should do this alone. I looked at them. They are my only and best friends.

"If things go wrong, I will take the fall. Not the two of you. You've already done more than I could ever ask."

"No. We're family now Lydia." Kelly stated and Sam nodded in agreement.

After some discussion, we decided we knew it wouldn't take much to isolate her on the dance floor if she's as drawn to my scent at they say she was. Sam and Kelly would make sure that none of her guards interrupted my conversation with the Queen. I would stay hidden as long as possible. The plan was to wait in my office where my scent would be masked as long as possible. I would wear contacts to hide my eyes in front of the crowd just in case I couldn't control the color change.

Tonight I get my answers. Tonight I come face to face with the person who killed my father and made it impossible for me to live a normal life.

The Queen.