Final Chapter

"You okay?" Yoongi asked me while passing me a bottle of water at the end of the interview.

We were in a private room. There were only the two of us because I was handling a radio talk show by myself. We were promoting the "You Never Walk Alone" album. It just so happened that only Yoongi and I were free. Taehyung needed to book his exhibition room with a gallery owner. Jimin couldn't miss his appointment with his therapist. Hoseok had to help another artist record a song. Jungkook was asked to help film a music video for a singer. Yoongi didn't want to be interviewed because he still didn't feel comfortable explaining our album concept. I was left with all the heavy lifting.

"I'll be fine," I mumbled.

"You sure? You looked like you were going to pass out during that interview," he countered. "I can tell future interviewers not to ask you about the song writing process. We can say that it's something related to intellectual property or what not."

"No," I refuted. "It's fine. I can talk about it. It's important."

"I think you've been too hard on yourself these days. We've been promoting a lot these days too and—"

"I . . . just need some time alone."

"All right then. I'll come by tomorrow at your apartment to get you for that radio show interview. We're all attending you know because it's our last promotion?" he uttered.

"Thanks," I answered. Yoongi was about to head out by himself and had his hand over the door knob when I suddenly blurted, "Yoongi . . ."

"What?" he wondered.

"On second thought," I suggested, "why don't we all do something after the interview?"

"Huh? Since when were you into this type of unplanned thing?"

"Trust me," I urged. "It'll be worth it."

------

You're probably wondering what the six of us are up to. I've convinced the boys to join me a quick train ride to . . . who knows where? Jin is also with us as RJ. I remember Jin saying that he had always wanted to hop on a train and go somewhere without planning. We haven't felt like stepping out from the train yet. We're lucky that no one seems to be recognizing us as we've picked an unpopular route. I'm not going to reveal which train we've boarded because this will be our little secret.

It's funny, now that I think of it. We're travelling like the train scene in the "Spring Day" music video. A year has passed since we had our trip to Jeju Island and it's close to the end of February. I can still see remnants of winter left in the landscape, but spring is coming. Some of the flowers are already starting to blossom.

I place an ear bud in my ear and play "Spring Day".

Hey Jin,

If you can't be here in person, then at least you'll be remembered as a tune. I hope people will enjoy your presence. I hope you can hear this song.

We notice a plum blossom tree from the window and decide that it's time to disembark the train. All of us walk towards that tree and finally when we are there, we find a way to hang a pair of white shoes on that branch.

Hey Jin,

One day, winter will pass and spring will come. Just wait a bit longer.

If you wait just a little bit more, if you stay awake for just a few more nights, I'll go to meet you. Min Yoongi, Jung Hoseok, Park Jimin, Kim Taehyung, Jeon Jungkook, and I will all be there to get you.

I promise. We'll be together again on spring day.

Then we gather as a team, put our hands together, and shout the chant we always did before a performance: "Bangtan Bangtan, Bang Bangtan!" We start playing the song and performing it in front of the tree.

Hey Jin,

You said I'll be fine. I don't know whether I can agree with you. There are still problems in my life and I can't say that I've fully recovered. I don't think I'll ever recover completely, but . . . I'll keep going because you told me so. I don't have the heart to leave these boys behind. They still need someone to support them and I need them by my side.

Thank you . . . for all that you've done. I wouldn't be here without you. Thank you.

The ending pose is with Jimin extending his to an imaginary figure which is actually Jin. We stand there staring at Jimin who hasn't gotten up from his kneeling. Instead, Jimin's head is lowered and one hand covers part of his face. I can see his shoulder trembling a bit as his other knee sinks to the ground. We all rush to Jimin's side, asking him what happened.

"H-H-He . . . was . . . here," Jimin stammers in between his sobs. "H-He . . . I . . . felt his hug. I-I-I . . . think . . . I heard a thank you . . ."

Yoongi complains, "Why is he still stuck here? Shouldn't he have rested peacefully or reincarnated or something?"

"Are you sure that was him?" Jungkook ponders.

"It must be him!" Taehyung eagerly cheers. "He knows! He likes this song! Yes!"

I look up to the sky and think . . .

Hey Jin,

If you're still there . . . There's one last thing I want to tell you and that's . . . you know that I love you right?

We all love you and miss you very much, so if you ever feel all alone, just remember that we love you very much. We'll be back for you. We promise.

"Oh my God!" Taehyung barks. "Are you crying, Kim Namjoon? Are you crying?"

"What? I can't cry?" I roar back at him.

"Don't worry," Jungkook cackles. "I've recorded this. I've been thinking . . . that I should make a documentary of us."

"Hey that's not a bad idea," Hoseok comments.

"It's a terrible idea," Yoongi utters. "Jungkook is just going to put in stupid things we do and everyone is going to see our foolishness."

"Not like our fans don't know though," I mumble.

Jimin is now standing beside me and says, "I think it'd good . . . for us to show our genuine side like our blood, sweat, and tears."

"Oh!" Jungkook points out. "Since when did you turn into such a big cheese ball fest? I thought Namjoon was the only one here that could be that cheesy."

"Hey!" I yell at Jungkook.

"Well," Jimin glances at me and slyly grins, "I guess when you're hanging out with someone more, you pick up a few habits or two from them."

"Oh?" Taehyung tilts his head to the side, forming a huge "O" with his mouth. "You . . . two have been hanging out? How come I've never been invited huh? What do you guys even do? Do you guys even share hobbies?"

Jimin and I both smile at Taehyung's reaction. I purposely tease him, "It's a secret."

"Huh?" Taehyung starts acting like a dog that's begging for extra treats. "Come on. Tell me. Tell me!"

Jimin jokes with a tune: "Tell me. Tell me. T-T-T-T-Tell me."

Hoseok carries the joke with Wonder Girls' dance. Jungkook takes a look at his watch and comments, "It's getting close to lunch time. I'm getting hungry. Let's go eat?"

The conversation among the six of us continue on as we walk down this hill to find a restaurant in the middle of nowhere. I know that we'll keep walking this path together. Jin, you will never walk alone, okay?

See you, Kim Seokjin. See you on Spring Day.