Adieu

I never understood the concept of farewell parties. Goodbyes were sad occurrences, so why did people expect there to be happiness? How could we celebrate departures? I wouldn't say that people treated funerals like parties either.

For the whole day, I kept looking at my watch, debating whether I should attend Jin's farewell party. I was now annoyed that he had decided by himself that he'd leave BTS. He never even consulted us. Did he hate us that much? How could I even say bye to this . . . traitor? Yoongi's thinking was clearly affecting me, yet a part of me knew that I couldn't lash out like that. As the leader of BTS, I had to behave and do my duty. It was Jin's decision to leave, so I had to respect that.

Despite this wavering, I still ended up showing up at Jin's party. Even though I was around three hours late, I still went to the hotel venue. The company had booked this event area on the first floor of some fancy hotel. There were round tables set up and a long table for a buffet. Waiters walked around with bottles of champagne and hor d'oeuvres. The place was filled with Big Hit staff and I was looking for a table with all the members. Sure, there was a table of seven for us, yet I only spotted Jungkook, Hoseok, and Taehyung. Jimin and Yoongi were missing.

I had a feeling that Yoongi wouldn't have showed up. I was dazed that Jimin wouldn't be here. Was Jimin also that angry at Jin? Jimin was probably the scariest when he became mad. He wouldn't talk to you for the longest time and if he did, every single phrase would be a death sentence. In this case, I was guessing that Jimin was having one of those cold moments.

Because I had arrived so late, everyone had finished eating and people were starting to get up and move around to converse with one another. Jin was also in the centre of this ballroom and was surrounded by a crowd. They were all shaking his head and smiling at him. A few hugged him and some even cried. Jin was grinning all the time, too much in fact.

Taehyung, who was still finishing some desserts off of his plate, uttered, "Namjoon, you should have come here earlier. You missed out on all the mountains of food and the funny videos!"

"I got caught up with some work," I lied.

Taehyung made a tsking sound while stabbing his fork through a grape. Jungkook, on the other hand, was gawking into space, lost in his world.

"Yeah, you came here so late," Hoseok, who sat beside me, nudged me in the elbow and reprimanded. "That's unlike you."

"Haha," I murmured and then stole a tart from Taehyung's plate.

"Hey!" Taehyung pushed his dish closer to himself, grimacing at me. "Paws off to late bloomers!"

"Late bloomers?" I laughed.

"Well . . . you know what I mean!" he snapped.

As I munched onto the egg tart, Jungkook surprisingly blurted, "Do you . . . Do you think Jin would be happier without us?"

"What makes you think that?" Hoseok inquired.

Jungkook, who was sitting next to Hoseok, tilted his head to the side and frowned. "If he didn't think that . . . why would he just . . . quit?" he blurted. "Aren't we doing quite well?"

Hoseok gently stroked the back of Jungkook's head as if he were petting a young puppy. "Sometimes it's not just about results," Hoseok instructed.

"So that means he actually hated us?" Jungkook pondered.

"No, no." Hoseok patted Jungkook's back and giggled. I really felt like Hoseok was like a father to Jungkook now as Hoseok explained, "You'll get it when you're older, Jungkook. Sometimes even friends who like each other will leave one another, but that doesn't meant that they're not friends anymore. As long as you have the heart, you'll see each other again."