Cuckoo Birds has always been a code amongst the two and he wasn't surprised when the girls eyes darted around the cafe. Her eyes landed in the man that was behind them and her posture changed. He would have seemed like a normal customer on the computer in a cafe. She looked closer and could see the earpiece he had in. Fury motioned towards the window they were sitting by, subtly pointing out the man who jogged by three times in the past ten minutes. Catching the hint, she flicked her hand allowing for two identical shadows to be put up.

Christine grabbed Fury by the arm, and teleported them outside of the building. She stumbled from the exertion of her powers, she hadn't done that in awhile and needed to take a small break. Fury looked back at their previous seats and found two shadows that looked similar to them. They were both hunched over the table, mimicking a conversation. To the naked eye, they looked like them. If you looked closer, you could see that it was the bending of light.

Fury continued to walk along Christine,who wasn't acknowledging his presence. He frowned at her when he noticed her heavy breathing and exhaustion. He knew that she was having trouble with using her powers so much tonight.

Christine began to speak. "We have exactly seven minutes before they realize something is up."

Fury wasted no time. "I need you to go back in the field."

Christine almost stopped in her tracks. "Why? Because S.H.E.I.L.D has been compromised? I heard it fell a couple weeks ago."

"That is exactly why." Fury rubbed his bald head. Getting frustrated with the woman in front of him. "The Avengers, they seem to have lost their way. Running around trying to find the tesseract."

Although Christine wasn't apart of that life anymore, she knew exactly what he was talking about. She vividly remembered the attacking on New York and how that ended. Thousands of people died and the others were displaced. All because of some ignorant god and his vendetta against his brother.

She knew the power the tesseract had, she could feel it from her place in Brooklyn. Amilla always believed that we could sense when someone else was powered around us, and she was right. It doesn't happen often, but when she is in public she could feel the hairs in the back of her neck stand up and a chill go down her spine. Eventually she would make eye contact with the individual after the sensation, she could tell that they felt it too when she was around. After those moments, she often disappeared into the crowd or cast an illusion so she can leave.

Even though she was very informed on the recent events, she was surprised to hear that the stone was still on earth. She felt the tesseract leave the earth with the two gods. So why were Earth's "mightiest heroes" going after it?

Her curiosity got the best of her and she asked.

He answered her question vaguely. "I can't help but to ask that question too"

She examined the man beside her and saw the tension in his face and shoulders. He was stressed and she could tell. After knowing Fury for many years, she had only seen him this stressed a couple of times.

"Listen old man, I told you five years ago that I was done. I told you in New York, I was done. So I'm going to tell you again, I'm done."

"It's only one job, you can't tell me that you don't miss it!"

"It's never really one job with you."

Fury stayed silent.

A sarcastic laugh filled the air between them.

"I miss my sister. I miss her laughter and being able to call her on the phone. I miss her hugs, the smell of her hair. That's what I miss, not the job." She said

Fury closed his eyes and sighed. "You know how much I cared for you and Amilla and I'm sorry for your loss, no, our loss. Do you think this is what I wanted? For it to end like this? No! I wish she was alive just as much as you do."

Christine blinked away the tears in her eyes.

"But we have all lost family, you were a hero. You helped save thousands of people. You inspired people to stand up for what was right and against any enemy this earth had. There are still whisperings about the woman who saved this earth long before the Avengers. Are you really gonna let that legacy die?"

She though about his words and remembered the grateful looks of the victims. Everyone applauding her as she helped men, women, and children. She would never admit it, but she truly did miss it. "Time's up, old man"

He nodded stiffly.

She stopped at the end of the street they had been walking on. There was an intersection and Christine could see her apartment from where she stood. In front of her, an SUV was parked. She knew that it was for Fury. It was silly of her to believe that he would come alone. He began to walk to it before turning around. Fury handed her a flash drive.

She raised an eyebrow at him and he placed it in her coat pocket. "If you change your mind, just plug it in."

He surprised her again, by pulling her into a brief hug. He patted her back reassuringly before pulling away. He left without a goodbye, climbed in the back of the SUV and disappeared into the night. She stared at the empty space he was standing before sighing and making her way back home.

——————————————————

Thank you for the support.

Vote. Comment. Share.