Chapter 16: The Hero's Recovery

"The road to recovery will not always be easy, but I will take it one day at a time, focusing on the moments I've dreamed about for so long." - Amanda Lindhout

Key 
'Hey' - Thoughts
"Everyone!" - Normal Speech
"Thanks" - Electronic Speech
"For" - Deity Speech
*Reading!* - Sound Effects/Actions  

Last Time on Kami's Gift

Once I defeated the last Noumu, I became exhausted before I dropped to the ground and could only hear the remaining villains go through another portal. After that, Athena-sama appeared with a small smile on her face.

"Good job, Izu." She said before closing my eyelids with her fingers. "Rest easy, my little hero."

Back To The Present

As I awoke, all I could feel was pain coursing its way throughout my body as I stared at a bland, white ceiling. When I tried to sit up, I felt all the muscles in my body straining themselves but I still sat up in the hospital bed I was now in.

Once I looked around, I realized it was late at night and only I and a sleeping Sumiko-chan was in the room, but why was she there?

But more importantly, both my arms were wrapped in bandages and my abdomen was also wrapped in some bandages. Then, I tried to nudge Sumiko-chan awake, only to realize she wasn't going to get off my legs anytime soon. After nudging her another time, I only received a slight groan of annoyance from her before a woman with blond hair wearing a white robe while wings made of pure light were behind her.

 After nudging her another time, I only received a slight groan of annoyance from her before a woman with blond hair wearing a white robe while wings made of pure light were behind her

"Hello, Izu." She said as she just stood there with a small smile. "My name is Nike, goddess of victory."

"W-wait, K-kami-sama?" I stuttered with a dumbfounded look on my face.

After she shook her head, she spoke once again. "Sorry, but your last limit break took too much pressure on Kami and now she has been split into multiple goddesses around the world. As I said, I am the goddess of victory, one of the many aspects from the original Kami that you know. But don't worry, you have all the powers you already had while I'll be your companion until I switch off with another goddess."

As all the information sunk in, I finally replied. "Will the split-change anything else?"

"Well, you probably will get a new power that the goddess with you prefers." She said before clapping her hands while her smile grew. "For example, I would give you a power that would assure your victory, but another god might pick a power they have control of. So Athena would give you a power based on knowledge or make a choice for any situation, rather than Hel, who'd give you a deathly, fatal power. Got it?"

Once I mumbled about my new possibilities (which woke Sumiko-chan) I nodded hesitantly before Nike-sama disappeared in a flash of golden light. Although the glow didn't wake any of the hospital's other occupants, Sumiko-chan was now awake and rubbing her right eye.