Chapter Nine {Silence}

{Andy Fowler}

The ride back to the house was practically silent, except for Rye jamming out to his music. Jack sat in the back by himself, gazing out of the window. The loud crackling of lightening scaring him.

"You okay, Jacky?" I asked, glancing into the rearview mirror. His eyes darted towards the mirror, filled with panic, even though he nodded.

Unbuckling my seatbelt, I climbed over the console (The middle part between the driver and passenger) and plopped beside him.

"What are you doing?" Jack asked, pulling on the rainbow strings of his simple black hoodie.

"Sitting by you," I answered softly, a chuckle leaving my lips as I watched Rye dancing while driving.

Every time it thundered, Jack jumped clear out of his seat. A nervous chuckle leaving his lips as we made eye contact.

"It's okay, Jacky!" I laughed, playfully wrapping my arms around his head, bringing it to my chest, as if he was a child.

"Oh my god, I can't with you." He laughed, causing me to crack a smile.

Grinning, I looked at Rye, who smiled back, what can I say, I live for moments like this. (I think we all do).

Time Skip back home

I grabbed Jack's bags, while Rye carried in his sleeping figure. He's been through so much with Ethan, I'm surprised he's not completely broken.

"He's knocked out," Rye mumbled, laughing. He looked so peaceful... I kinda wanted to wake him up.

"Yea, he's had a rough life." I smiled softly, looking at the small boy in his arms, before slowly gazing up at Rye. Our eyes locking, intensely.

"While I should probably go to sleep." I saw, breaking our staring contest. Rye nodded, agreeing.

"Jack will sleep in my room until he is finished, so I should probably lay down with him," Rye stated awkwardly, not gonna lie, I felt something as he said that.

I can't put my finger on it though, so I nodded and went up the stairs to my room, before throwing myself on my bed, letting sleep take me over.