Cast- "Forensic Scientist"

"This is Y/N L/N, she's the best we got. She came here as an intern in college and was hired shortly after, she graduated top of her class at John Jay university and has been working here for a little over eight years."

As a female Forensic Scientist, you were rare. As an expert in your craft, you had received a lot of job offers right out of college, the one you decided to take was with the FBI. Your boss, also a friend, knew that he could only keep you for so long. He always said that he 'cant pay you what you're worth.' Today, you were told that he had another agency coming in for a meeting, you didn't, however, know that they would be knocking on your door. (your lab is set up like Abbey's from NCIS)

Jake knocked on you door as you were sitting in your office chair in the middle of you lab writing in a notebook more to yourself trying to connect the dots, "Hey, you have a minute?"

"Yeah, I have five."

Jake walked through the door followed by two women and three men. He shut the door behind them and he walked up to you.

"You do know by taking your merry old time getting situated, you're wasting time before that thing goes off." You point at the computer, which was going through a database.

"Okay, I'm going to make this quick. This is Phoenix, an undercover organization out of Los Angeles. They're in need of a forensic scientist, I wanted them to see you work and be able to ask you questions so they know what to look for."

"Um, if they're not at least a little crazy about they're job then you didn't do too well. It's also good to have a multitasker and a person who can handle stress really well." At that moment your computer beeped, "And that's time. You all are welcome to stay here and watch me run around like a mad man for the next half an hour." 

They all moved to give you room and you sat at your computer and ran through your folder again. You had received this case from NCIS, who wanted to do a follow up but didn't know where to start. They sent it to the FBI, and requested you to run through it again, no one else. 

"Sodium hypochlorite." You whispered to yourself, "So that means that someone had to have been there to cover it up. It's not allowed on Navy ships, it-"

"Earth to Y/N" Jake yelled.

"Y-yeah."

"I don't think they know what that is."

"One second, I need to talk to Maleiah." You ran to your phone and called your middle school best friend, who was the medical examiner. "Hey, can you do me a favor? You still have the body, right? Okay, can you either send down the stomach contents or run them upstairs? Because I found Sodium hypochlorite on the mattress and on the floors. Yes, I know what that is, why do you think I called you? Okay, see you in a few."

You hung up the phone and walked into the other room, with Phoenix. The second you walked through the threshold, one of your machines beeped. You picked up the blood sample out of the machine and split it into two different vials. One was a just incase, and the other was to go into a different machine to be tested for any drugs. You set a vial on a tray and the other in another machine. Maleiah came running through the door with a small vial of fluid, "Hey I already ran this but I figured you would want to double check it."

She set the vial on the table with your computer, "Sodium hypochlorite in his stomach!"

You both looked at each other and smirked. You turned around and asked Jake if he could give you the alibies of all the people on the crew. The machine that you had put the blood sample in beeped, signaling that it was done. The printer printed out the chemical marker for whatever was found. 

"Maleiah, look at this." You handed the paper to your bestfriend. She took one look at it and gasped. 

"Jake, can you do me a favor?"

"Yeah, what do you need?"

"Can you grab me the roster of all the crew and they're occupation, and the alibies of everyone on board."

"Can you like fill me in first?"

"Yes of course, step right up." You ushered him to stand in the space on the other side of you, "I found Sodium hypochlorite on the mattress and on the floor of the crime scene, and she found it in his stomach-"

"And for someone who didn't study chemicals and the periodic table for my job that is?"

"Bleach, Jake, it's bleach. Which is forbidden on Navy ships unless needed for a big cleanup of say- stains."

"So that was the cause of death?"

"Or what I found in his blood stream." You handed chemical print to Jake.

"What is this?"

"Succinylcholine. It's a muscle relaxer, about 100 kilograms is enough to kill a 70kg man if not given proper help. It's also easily broken down by enzymes in the body. 100 kilograms is almost completely broken down in five minutes, it's nearly untraceable. It's been six months and I still found enough to get a marker. It's rare that anyone other than medical staff get access to it. It had to be one of the doctors on the ship."

"I can do that, I'll be back in a minute." He kissed your forehead, his way of saying thank you and practically ran to the elevator to his office.

You explained a little more of the case and everything going on to Phoenix, who stood there in awe. You ran the stomach contents again and got the same thing as Maleiah. Jake came back down with the rosters, occupations and alibies.

Maleiah needed to go back to her lab, so you worked by yourself, at the table in the middle of the room. You sorted all the written alibies and notes by occupation. You then set the medical staff in front of you and the others aside. 

"Got it!" You practically jumped out of your chair, "Michael Travis is the only one who did not have a solid alibi out of the medical staff, who are the only people who have access to any of the medication. I have to read through the others to see if anyone else sticks out, but that will take me awhile."

----------------------------------------

"We would really like her in LA with us."

"Well, that's not my decision to make, you'll have to ask her."

Another knock was placed on your door, "Hey, Y/N-"

"One second!" You practically yelled in Matty's face, "I'm almost done."

When you finished your report, you looked up at the director, "Yeah, what do you need?"

"I just have a few questions."

"Do you want a chair?"

"No, no it's fine," She stood across the table from you, "Would you recommend any other Forensic Scientists to us?"

"No, Ma'am, not of the top of my head, but there are some amazing scientists out there."

"If you don't mind me asking, how much do you make an hour, and what's the average pay for an advanced person in your field?"

"I make about 37 dollars an hour, but top 10 scientists make around 46 dollars."

"I would like to offer you the job at Phoenix."

"Wait-What?"

"I would love for you to come back to LA with us and continue your profession with Phoenix."

"May I have a few days to think about it?"

"Yes, of course." Matty nods her head at you and walks out of the room.

Written June 12, 2018

A/N

So, the Maleiah name is pronounced Muh-lie-uh

I know this is later than what I normally post, I had stuff going on today, im sorry. ALSO I start school on Thursday, so I don't know if it will affect my upload times (I'll still upload on Sundays, obviously, but it may or may not be later.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I will see you all next week.

Much Love,

~Jordan