"A what?"

"Scowl?" he offered

"You misread me"

"I did?" he frowned.

"That's not a scowl"

"Okay?"

"That's my face" I told him.

It took a moment for him to register that but when he did, he burst out laughing.

Had I known before this day that the sound of his laughter would be so ethereal, I would have killed to be where I am today a long time ago.

My own smile stretched as I drank in the sight of him. I made him laugh. I did it.

If that's what it takes to humor him then I'll never tell him why I really scowl at him. So I didn't tell him. I didn't tell him that I did it to make him happy. He seems to look forward to it when our eyes meet across the room on rare occasions. I didn't tell him that I did it hide myself from me, to assure myself that I'm not that pathetic......not that sick.

His shoulder shook with mirth as he finally composed himself to look at me "You...."

"I'm sooooo sorry. I'm late. Don't kill me please" A voice pleaded from behind us cutting Dan off.

We looked over our shoulder to see Autumn standing at the edge of the forest hands folded, with a pleading grin on her face.

Dan rolled his eyes "When are you not"

I frowned at his reply and quickly turned to look at him. He didn't look the slightest bit angry at her apparent lateness. He just seems amused at her antics. The same amusement I saw on his face a moment ago at my expense.

"Gotta go" he told me with a smile as he stood up "Duty calls. I'll see you around" he said as he walked towards her.

Autumn waved at me. Since mom's not here, do I need to return the courtesy?

"Hey" Dan turned to me once he reached her "I'm glad we talked today. We should do this more often" he smiled "That reminds me, do those worksheets. I don't want Eric to rub his victory all over my face" I gritted my teeth "I think you are smarter than Luc though" he said as an afterthought.

I managed a scowl.

He smiled at that before scurrying away with Autumn by his side.

'funny kid' I heard him tell her.

I'm tired.

_______

"I don't want to do this" Luc declared as he threw the pen in his hand at me as he slumped back into the bed pushing the books away "I thought I'll get a break when you visit"

I couldn't agree more. I'm on a freaking vacation. I don't want to study on my vacation.

"Can we sneak out?" I asked.

"We can do that once dad leaves for the council tomorrow" Luc replied "He wouldn't be back for a week" he said happily.

I laughed at his enthusiasm "What's the emergency?"

He shrugged "Dunno. I guess those oldies at the council need an eye candy" he replied

I rolled my eyes "Shut up"

"Seriously" he insisted "Uncle Evan swears that's why they took him in. Everyone else there is like two hundred or something"

"They roped him in because he is an icon not just to the wolves but to the entire supernatural world. He brings respect with him. The wolves wouldn't be seen as regressive if they have Alpha Liam with them"