Chapter 67: The Ballroom

ARIKA

The ballroom was something I had never experienced before, straight out of a medieval film I used to watch in my childhood. This one had walls painted a brilliant cobalt blue, just like Axel's style. The rug swept below my sleek stilettos, a vast expanse of black velvet. I smooth my long, ombre blue dress. The top of the bodice is a dark navy color that lightened into a rich royal blue at the end of the train. The back of the dress is a deep cut, revealing my entire backside, a sensual touch to the extravagant gown. The stylist has really outdone herself.

I scan the room, choosing to stay in the back of the crowd. I observe the Imperator and the endless line of stunning women waiting to have just one dance with him. His hair is slicked back, his suit clean and sleek. I swallow my envy as he laughs beautifully with a woman in an emerald gown. I force myself to look away.

I had decided to come to this party alone tonight after receiving Axel's invitation. My heart sinks as I remember Sage's face when we had returned from our triumphant mission only to find that terrorists had found our camp somehow and bombed the entire place, killing half of its people. Bri had survived, but had injured her leg in the process. I clench teeth, despising the fact that the Rising Star had taken two hundred of our people before they had fallen for good, before we had crushed them to nothing.

"May I have this dance?" Sage bows, a true gentleman. I smile, glad Bri had chosen the right man.

"Of course. I was getting awfully lonely."

"I could tell. I was too." I place my hand on his shoulder, keeping a respectful distance. He does the same.

"I wish Bri could have come." I state wistfully. Sage nods in agreement.

"As do I. But she has to rest." We waltz gracefully to the serene music, the piano's chords pleasant to the ears.

"You did well Arika. It was incredibly impressive for you to hold off Cole and Frieda for so long." Sage grins in approval.

"Thank you. I am more impressed by you, however. How did you know the substance in Frieda's syringe wouldn't effect Axel?"

"Ah, yes. You see, before we had our sudden change in plans, Axel had brought back a syringe with the substance in it. I noticed that this substance could reform itself into an organism only if it was in a human brain. However, it had to travel through the bloodstream before it could reach the brain. I figured that Axel's blood contained so much gravity it could suppress its formation." Sage shrugs like his discovery wasn't the key to our victory.

"You really are a genius." I beam in awe.

"You know, you should ask Axel to dance with you tonight. He is a complicated man, but I know that he cares for you, deeply. It seems everyone can see it except for you and him." The song ends and I curtsey.

"It has been good talking to you, Sage." We depart as he heads toward the restroom. Maybe I will follow his advice.

I sigh, alone once again in a mass of strangers. It was just like Axel to invite all of his generals, medical staff, advisors, maids, servants, soldiers, whether they be rich or poor to a celebratory party like this. He had even hired personal stylists for everyone coming so no one would feel inferior to someone else. Selfless as always. God, why does he have to be so attractive? I can't help but catch another guilty glimpse at his striking face, before I pour myself my third cup of orange juice. I take empty sips out of it as I lean against the refreshment tables, feeling my mood sour even more as lady after lady approaches him.

"Ask him for a dance." A voice chirps next to me. I jolt, nearly dropping my cup. I turn to see, to my true astonishment, that same woman whom Axel had been talking to in the gorgeous emerald dress that brought out the amber in her brown eyes. I could tell she was middle-aged by the slight wrinkles lining her eyes but she is still beautiful, nonetheless. Her notable sapphire ring seems to shout at me. Not a surprise she's married.