Chapter 26: Sunrise

AXEL

Ice cold water rushes down my head onto the tax papers as my eyes shoot open, suddenly wide awake. My hand automatically reaches for the glove beside me. I must have dozed off. Hysterical giggling bounces off the walls of my spacious room.

"HAHAHAH! YOUR FACE WAS PRICELESS!!" Manic laughter is coming from Arika as she collapses onto the floor. I shiver as the early morning breeze comes through the window, the sun not even up yet. Annoyance and that little bit of amusement courses through me. If anyone else dared to do this...

"Oh you have asked for it," I slip on the turquoise glove and tap into that unending, dangerous energy, letting the familiar power rush through me.

A wave of my hand and Arika is soaking, dripping from head to toe.

"This is why you don't mess with the King of Water," I sneer and do my best evil cackle, which doesn't really come out as I imagined, but watching Arika's face turn red in fury is good enough.

"I've been practicing myself," A slender coil of water lashes at me from the right. Astonishment fills me. I barely react in time, blocking the surprisingly hard hit with a sloppy parry.

"Is everything alright in here?" The maid's terrified look stops both of us in our tracks as she barely catches the wobbling tray of coffee. I realize that both Arika and I are drenched, puddles forming all around us.

"Ahem, you can leave the coffee on my desk and could you please bring us some towels? Thank you," I cringe as she almost slips on the slippery marble, yelping. Arika presses her hand to her mouth as she shakes silently. I try my hardest not to crack a grin, the sides of my mouth twitching. The maid finally leaves the room, looking very uncomfortable. I turn towards Arika.

"Those papers that you destroyed were the tax papers that are due today," I frown, crossing my arms. She finally stops laughing, her face transforming into a look of guilt. She backs a few steps away, her hands up in surrender. I sigh.

"Luckily for you, I'm the most skilled controller you'll ever meet," I carefully extract the moisture out of the papers, a small ball of water forming. I launch it at Arika, one last revenge attack. Exhaustion bites at me as I draw on the last of my energy reserves, the lack of sleep finally starting to catch up to me. She shouts a little, but deflects the water in the exact same way I did minutes ago. Interesting, very interesting. I notice her breathing becoming progressively harder. Typical of a beginner to use too much power at once, although she does have skill...

"Get out of my room now please," I dismiss her, heading back to my half-done papers that were due in two hours now, thanks to Arika.

"Sorry, I know you probably don't get that much sleep," She says in a low voice, very out of character. I try to keep that grin off my face.

"You suck at apologies," I chuckle. She rolls her eyes in response.

"Feel grateful you got one," She's already strutting out of the room, barefoot, blue dress swaying.

"Because of that, maybe I'll take away your breakfast. Darn, looks like I'm getting twice the raspberry strudels today," She gives me a vulgar gesture in return, not even giving me the satisfaction of looking back. This girl, always getting away with things like this.

"You should smile more often. Makes you look younger, more like your age," Maid Tereasa, my childhood caretaker for as long as I can remember, comes in with a bundle of towels, that eternal grace heightening with age. I rush to help her, wondering why she hasn't retired yet.

"She's done you some good. Nice to see you talking to a girl your age for once. And as spunky as you," She pinches my cheek.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. All she's been is a nuisance," I wrap the soft towel around me, the chattering in my teeth stopping.

"Well, maybe we should have some more nuisances around here if I get to see that sweet little smile again. Haven't seen you smile like that since you went to the beach with-" She stops immediately, seeing the immense pain in my eyes. My heart still aches at the thought of her.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have brought that up. All I'm saying is Arika doesn't seem so bad. Anyways, she's getting ready to leave soon. All the prep for your plan is done," Tereasa gives me a tight hug before exiting the room. I step out onto my balcony as the waves shimmer in the rising sun, trying to remember the last time I could see the beauty of this world instead of the stark wretchedness. A wave of nostalgia washes over me, finally admitting to myself I hadn't had this much fun in a while, hadn't let myself laugh a little and be that teenage boy that I once was. Something stirred inside me. Perhaps this sunrise marked the beginning of something new.

I sprint downstairs, pulling on a shirt and pants as I do so, not tripping once. My tax papers flutter behind me, finally done. Arika is showering again, the aroma of vanilla wafting out of the bathroom. Why did I ever think it was a good idea to let this girl see a shower? The castle is already bustling in activity, despite the fact that I was the only person who wasn't a servant that permanently lived in here. I burst out of the door, the cool morning air biting my face. I pull on a commoner's hat, not wanting to be the Imperator, just wanting to be normal, if only for a couple of minutes.

I stroll through the farmer's market, searching for my favorite fruit vendor. I see the elderly couple's jolly faces as strawberries, pineapples, watermelons, peaches, bananas, raspberries are displayed in front of them. And the ripe, plump mangoes, the smell intoxicating.

"Give me your best mango," I hand them 10 gold pieces, their faces in confusion.

"Sir, we can't accept this," I tuck the mango away, despite wanting to sink my teeth in.

"Keep the change," I head back to the castle.

She's putting on her spy uniform, the sleek black material sticking to the curves of her slender form. Her long hair is up in a ponytail, out of her face. I knock a few times on her open door. Arika yelps in surprise. I notice her hand go straight to that pocket on her thigh.

"I brought you a little treat," I smirk at her look of suspicion.

"I don't know if I should be scared or terrified," Her stomach growls loudly, her face immediately reddening. I snort.

"A mango, for my lady's monstrous appetite," I bow, placing the bowl of freshly cut mango on her bed. She picks it up as if it is the most precious thing in the world.

"You brought this for me?" She says faintly.

"Can I not be a decent human being? Go on, try it," I can't hold back a smile this time as I see her face light up as the chunk enters her mouth.

"If you continue eating like a sloth, we're never leaving this place. Be downstairs ready to go at 9," I turn away, not letting her see the tears in my eyes. I had forgotten the feeling of giving. 

No act of kindness is ever wasted, I hear her telling me. I regain my composure and head downstairs to oversee last minute preparations.