Who's At Fault

Keith picked at his jeans as he sat in the hospital room. He knew it wasn't safe to be covered in whatever was in the water, but he couldn't afford to leave just yet. He had gone to the bathroom and tried to wash if what he could, but it still stained his clothes. As annoying as it was, Keith stopped messing with it and leaned his head back and folded his arms.

Lance lied in the hospital bed hooked up to machines. The heart rate monitor had calmed down from its rapid speed a few hours earlier. After Keith had confessed to him taking drugs, including meth, the police were called and asked him a few questions. They couldn't charge him with anything because he didn't have any on him and he didn't drive himself to the hospital; so they eventually left. Now, Keith sat curled up in a chair next to his bed and waited. He should've been tired, but he was just relieved Lance was alright. It was the one emotion he could handle at the moment. Keith took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

Lance stirred in the bed, catching his attention. He stayed in the chair as Lance found his bearings. Curious eyes flickered open and fought against the light. They slowly drifted from the IV in his arm over to the chair. He gave a confused look and let out a croaky voice. "Keith?"

Keith kept his arms crossed and nodded, "Hey Lance."

Lance looked around the room, "Where-what am I doing here?"

"You OD'd." He looked down at his muddy rain boots that had tracked dirt into the room and stained the fabric of the chair. "We found you in an alley downtown."

Lance furrowed his brows and hung his head, "Oh." His fingers picked at the blanket. "On what?"

Keith shook his head and scoffed, "Heroine? Cocaine? Meth? Who knows..."

Lance kept his head down as he processed the situation he was in. After a minute of silence, he spoke sheepishly. "I'm sorry."

Keith's head snapped down as he looked at him. "You better be fucking sorry. Do you have any idea what I've been through in the past few days?" He shook his head as he scolded him. "What were you thinking?"

Lance bit his shaking lip, "I'm sorry you had to find out this way."

"I didn't."

Lance quickly raised his head and gave him a look of confusion. "What?"

Keith sighed and tightened his crossed arms. "I've known for a while now. When you didn't come home last night, I figured something like this had happened. I ended up calling Isaac and they all helped find you."

Lance pulled his knees up and rested his elbows on them. He sighed and rubbed his face. In the hospital gown, his arms stuck out and showed off the track marks. It made Keith sick to look at them.

Keith dropped his feet off the chair and leaned forward. "How did this start? When did you start using and why?"

Lance kept his eyes closed and face in his hands. "When you were dying from the GvHD. I couldn't sleep or stop my mind from picturing you dead."

Keith's heart stopped. His face softened and contorted into horrified realization. A stinging covered his eyes as they teared up. "This is my fault?"

Lance quickly snapped his head over to look at him. "No, it's not. This is not your fault."

"Yes it is." Keith dropped back in his chair and covered his face. "Dammit, what the hell was I thinking?"

"Keith," Lance reached over the bed and set his hand on his knee. "This is not your fault. I did this to myself."

A tear fell down his cheek, "But I was so focused on myself that I didn't stop and ask if you were okay!" He leaned forward and tapped his chest. "I was so selfish and mean to you in recovery." He locked teary eyes with him, "I'm so sorry."

"Keith, that's not-"

Keith stood up and yanked Lance into a desperate hug. "I'll be there for you, okay? I'm not dying anymore, so it's my turn." He tightened his hold, "I'll be your rock."

Lance's hands slowly gave in and held him back, letting him sit on the bed. He buried his nose into Keith's neck. "Okay."

Keith kept them together, "The doctors said you were lucky you didn't have a heart attack or stroke." His throat stung, "I was so scared! I thought I wouldn't see you again!"

Lance gulped and tried to mask his shaky voice. "I'm alright now. We'll go home and get better."

Keith nodded, "They've got you on a twenty-four hour psych hold." He rested his head on Lance's shoulder, "I don't wanna leave, so I'm staying here."

That's when Lance finally noticed how dirty he was, "Wait, Keith, you're filthy."

Keith chuckled, "Thanks."

"No that's not what I mean." Lance picked at his clothes. "You need to get clean so you don't get sick."

Keith lowered his eyes, "But I don't wanna leave and I can't call anybody."

Lance sighed and nodded in realization. "Because you don't want them to know about the drugs."

Keith thought for a moment, then pulled out his phone. "I'll call Shiro and tell him not to ask any questions."

Lance looked over his shoulder, "Do you think he will?"

Keith put the phone up to his ear, "He's gonna have to."