The Things We Do For Love

Krolia burst through the door with a mask on. Her eyes spilled over and she quickly went to Keith's side. "My poor baby."

"Momma!" Keith clung to her shirt and cried into her shoulder. He sobbed and shook his head, "I can't see you."

"It's okay, sweetie." She sat down on the edge of the bed and brought him to her chest. She shushed him and rubbed his back. "I'm right here."

Eric tapped Lance's shoulder, "How are you doin' son?"

Lance sniffled and shook his head, "I'm so sorry." His eyes stung with tears as they stared up at Eric in sorrow. "I'm so sorry."

Eric's pulled him into a hug and patted his back. His voice was tight and flat, "It's alright, Lance. This isn't your fault."

"Dad?!" Keith turned his head to where Lance and his father were. "Are you here, too?!"

Eric let go of Lance and sat down on the other side of the bed. He wrapped one arm around Keith's shoulder, "I'm right here, my son."

Keith's face twisted up as he sobbed into his parents' arms. Without any hair to cover his face, it was much more saddening to see him cry. Lance slowly backed up and left the room. He held his hand over his mouth and stumbled through the halls. When he reached the exit, he ran over to the grass and threw up. He dropped to his knees and clutched his pounding chest.

The entire world crashed down on him. This wasn't just another day in the hospital. It was the end. Lance cried out and rocked his body. This can't be real. The sun warmed his back as the cool wind brushed it off. Lance clenched his jaw and shot the sun a hateful glare. Keith went outside. He stayed out for who knows how long. It must have been the sun that triggered it. Curses ran through Lance's muddled head.

This isn't right. Lance gasped through his sobs. Not like this! Please! He violently shook his head. Not like this!

Keith's parents had to return home that night. They promised they'd return every day. Lance sat in the chair next to Keith and held his hand as he slept. Insomnia hit Lance like a runaway train. He wished for nothing more than sleep. His aching bones begged for rest, but it never came. When the clock reached four a.m. Lance got up, put on his jacket, and went outside. He found a bench on the side of the building and sat down. Lighting the cigarette between his teeth, he tapped his foot and looked up at the stars.

Lance let out a drag and allowed his body to relax. As much as he wanted it, his mind never calmed. All he could think about was what could go wrong while he wasn't there. Maybe Keith was in cardiac arrest. Maybe he was puking his guts out. In the past, he never would have left. This time, however, he needed just a minute to himself. If he was ever going to relax, he needed to get away.

After a couple cigarettes, he phoned an old friend from the area and let him know what was up. He assured Lance that he had something to help and said he would be there in ten minutes.

Lance stood to greet him when he arrived. He held out a hand to perform their signature handshake. "Hey Isaac."

"What's up, bro?" He let out a silly laugh and bobbed. A black hoodie covered his face as grey sweatpants fluttered around his legs. Isaac talked with his hands in a laid-back fashion. "First of all man, look, I'm sorry bro."

Lance waved him off with a half-hearted smile. "It's fine. Thanks, man."

"Yeah," Isaac nodded and kicked a foot out. "So you need to chill?"

Lance shrugged and let out a slight chuckle. "Yeah, you could say that."

Isaac clicked his teeth and clapped his hands together, "Man, I gotchu bro."

"Okay?" Lance gave him a curious smile.

"Here," he turned around and motioned for him to follow. "Let's go to my car."

"Uh," Lance hesitantly followed, "I don't want to leave."

"Man, we won't." He waved him off and got into the driver's side. "Come one, man."

Lance shrugged and got into the car. It was messy. Very messy. The floorboards were littered with cans while fast food bags were strewn across the back seat. Lance cringed at the uncomfortable smell. "Bro, your car is the worst."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." Isaac reached into his hoodie pocket and brought out a small Ziplock bag of white powder.

Lance drew in a quick breath of realization and shook his head. "Man, Isaac, I can't just..."

"Nah, bro, it's cool." Isaac handed him the bag. "It's fine. Doesn't last long." He reached over into the glovebox and pulled out a notebook.

Lance opened the bag and sniffed the air inside. It was almost like a very faint paint thinner smell. "Bro, is this...?"

Isaac took the bag from him and formed two lines on the notebook with a credit card. When he finished, he pulled out a twenty and started rolling it up.

"Isaac, is this coke?" Lance leaned forward in his seat to look at it closer.

Isaac nodded with a jittery smile, "Yeah man, come on." He handed Lance the rolled-up twenty and held up the notebook. "Do you know how?"

Lance was taken aback, "I've never done anything except cigarettes." He shook his head, "Man, I can't do this." He motioned to the hospital. "I've got my husband in there."

Isaac shrugged and took the twenty from him. He handed Lance the notebook and positioned his arms to hold it up. In one quick motion, he snorted one of the lines and leaned back in his chair. "Lance, bro, I ain't gonna force you or anything."

Lance kept the notebook up as he stared at Isaac while he gently took in his high. Maybe it wasn't that big of a deal. One line couldn't hurt. Could it?

"Here," Isaac took the notebook out of his hands and set it back in his lap.

"Wait," Lance stared down at the line of white. He hesitantly nodded and held out his hand, "I'll do it. Gimme that."

Isaac let out a hyper laugh and handed him the twenty. "Alright! Let's do it!" He lifted the book, "You know how?"

"Yeah." Lance put the money up to his nose and plugged one side. Before he could back out, he quickly snorted the line.