New Drugs

Keith was put back on immunosuppressants. The goal was to slow his immune system and get the new cells to stop attacking his body. During this treatment, Lance and Keith spent a lot of time together. They did all they could to repair the relationship that had deteriorated. Slowly, Keith's eyes regained their shimmer and his voice filled with joy. Even if he was in pain, he still smiled and talked.

"Hey man," Lance greeted Isaac with their handshake. "How you doin'?"

"Man, I been doin' great!" Isaac placed his hands on his hips and looked up at the hospital building. "How's your man?"

Lance sighed and shook his head, "They've got him on steroids, but I don't think they're working."

They retreated from the cold night air into Isaac's car. "What makes you say that?"

Lance leaned back and groaned, "Every time they run tests, their faces always look the same." He locked eyes with him. "When you're in the hospital that long, you pick up on things."

Isaac sorted out a few lines of cocaine as they continued. "Does your boy know you're here?"

Lance shook his head, "He's sleeping right now, but I promised to tell him when I leave. So I said I was taking a smoke break."

"He knows you smoke?"

Lance nodded, "I don't very often, so he doesn't mind."

Isaac chuckled and motioned to his lap, "Would he mind if he knew about this?"

Lance's smile dropped. He kept his mouth shut and held out his hand.

"Ah, sorry man." Isaac rubbed the back of his neck and handed him a rolled up bill. "Got it. No questions." He lifted the notebook for him.

"You're fine." Lance took a deep breath and leaned down to the book. He snorted the line and let the high sink in. It was like he was breathing in a pile of fresh laundry on top of the rush. It was pleasant. He kept his eyes closed as he responded. "Keith says I've been really nice."

"Nice?" Isaac handed off the notebook.

Lance held it up for him, "Like happy."

Isaac did his line and nodded, "Oh, I see."

They both sat back in their seats to relax. Lance let his eyes close as he focused on the feeling. A wave of euphoria washed over him and slithered through his veins. His body felt light and relaxed. It made the nausea more tolerable. Lance coughed up a laugh, "I think Keith's gonna die."

"You think?" Isaac looked over at him.

"Mm-hmm." Lance licked his chapped lips and pointed at the book. "Set up another line."

Dr. Sallow clicked his pen and sighed. He looked down at Keith and Lance from the end of the bed. "The steroids Keith have been on aren't working. This happens sometimes with GvHD."

Lance let out a frustrated breath and shook his head, "So what does that mean? What now?"

"Well, this is what we call steroid-refractory GvHD." Dr. Sallow looked down at his clipboard. "Since the immunosuppressants didn't work, we will have to try second-line therapies. But..." he trailed off a little, but started again. "But even though we have other treatment options, I encourage you to participate in clinical trials."

"Clinical trials?!" Keith scoffed and crossed his arms. "I'm not doing that."

Lance rubbed his thigh in support, "Baby, let's think about it."

"No!" Keith yanked his leg away. His eyes were still swollen and his skin continued to thicken and change. It was obvious that he was getting worse.

"I'm very sorry." Dr. Sallow continued, "We're going to try different drugs." He looked into both of their eyes, "We're doing all we can."

Lance gave him a nod and let him leave. When the door shut, he sat back in his chair and let out a long sigh.

"I'm not doing clinical trials." Keith rested his chin on his hugged knees. "If the treatments don't work, then I wanna go home."

Lance turned his head to look at him, letting his arms fall to his sides. He was silent for a moment, then nodded. "Okay."