All of the Nights and All of the Days

Krolia rushed around the room gathering all of their things. A wide smile of faint lip gloss showed off her coffee-stained teeth. She stuffed a jacket into her bag, "Keith, do you see anything else?"

"Mom," Keith sat up on the bed as Lance brushed his hair, "I'm not even sure I'm being released today."

"But I do!" She spoke in singsong. "Nurse Mack let me in on it."

Keith rolled his eyes and turned to Lance, "Hey, can you get me something to eat from downstairs?"

Lance set the brush down on the end table, "Yeah." He jumped up, "What do you want?"

Keith smiled up at him and shrugged, "Anything is fine."

"Okay," Lance leaned down to give him a quick kiss, then left the room.

Keith listened to his steps get further. When he was far enough away, he turned to his mother. "Hey Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie?" She tossed a small pink bag into her purse.

"I wanna ask you something. It's kinda important."

Krolia locked eyes with him, then cautiously sat down on the couch. "Okay," she leaned onto her knees, "I'm listening."

"Um, okay, I know it sounds crazy." Keith tucked a few strands of hair behind his ear. "But," he took a quick breath, "would you, maybe, let me-um-" He cut himself off to blow air through his teeth.

"Keith, what is it?" Her eyes were laced with concern.

"Uh, would you," he spaced out his words way more than he needed to, "maybe let me marry Lance?"

She stared at him for a moment before bursting into laughter. Keith tensed up in confused worry. Krolia waved him off, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" She rubbed her face and groaned, "I just thought you were gonna ask me something terrible."

"So," Keith cocked his head, "so what does that mean?"

Krolia took a happy breath to compose herself. "Keith," she placed her fingers on her chest, "I love Lance. He is an amazing young man."

"Is-?" A smile tugged on his lips. "Is that a yes?"

Krolia stood and brought him into a hug, "Of course I would!" Keith hugged her back as she pet his hair. "Have you guys been talking about marriage?"

"Well," Keith pressed his cheek into her stomach, "I mentioned it last night. He wanted to wait to talk about it seriously." He kept his arms around her waist and looked up, "I think he wants to check with his parents before he promises anything."

Krolia continued to pet his hair, "How do you know?"

Keith's face formed a blushing smile, "Because that's the kind of person he is."

Keith was discharged that night just like Mack had told them. They pulled up to his house and unbuckled their seatbelts. Lance launched himself out of the car and ran to Keith's side.

Keith laughed at him as he opened his door, "What are you doing?"

Lance kneeled down and outstretched his arms, "I wanna carry you."

"Like a prize?" Keith shook his head in amusement.

Lance smirked, "Like a bride."

Keith burst out laughing. "Alright," he wrapped his arms around Lance's neck, "That was smooth as fuck."

"Thank you," Lance picked him up and shut the car door with his leg, "I try."

Keith and Lance picked out their pieces of pizza. They sat next to each other at the dining table. Keith spoke with his piece in his mouth, "Thank you, Mom."

Lance nodded, "Yeah, thanks Krolia."

She patted their shoulders, "No problem boys."

When she stayed, Keith gave her a go away now look.

"Well, boys," she tapped their shoulders again, "I gotta-uh-go do some work." She left while shooting curious "mom" looks at Keith until he was out of sight.

They sat in silence as they ate until Lance opened his mouth. "You want to talk don't you?"

Keith relaxed and groaned, "Yes!"

Lance dropped the pizza he was eating back onto his plate and wiped his hands. "Alright," he took a sip of his drink, "Go ahead. I'm listening."

Keith sighed, staring at him with pouted lips. He spoke in a quiet whine, "Marry me."

Lance flashed him a smile and stroked his cheek. "You still want to?"

Keith placed his hand on the back of Lance's and held it to his cheek. "Yes." He kissed his palm and mumbled, "I said I was serious."

"I know," Lance sighed.

Keith raised his eyes to him, "You don't want to?"

Lance shook his head, "It's not that. Don't you worry your pretty little head." He leaned forward and kissed his forehead, then connected it to his. "I have to go back home-"

Keith's eyes widened, "No!"

"Shh," Lance's fingers silenced his lips. "It's only for a day or two, then I'm here for summer."

Keith nuzzled their cheeks together and laced his fingers into his. "When do you leave?"

He kissed his cheek, "The sooner I go, the sooner I get back."

Keith fought back the urge to cry, "I don't want you to leave."

"I know, baby." Blue locked into violet. "But I have to. Only a couple days, I promise."

Keith curled himself into Lance's chest. "Then," he trailed off in thought, "then leave after I fall asleep."

Lance gave him a warm smile, "Do you want to go upstairs, then?"

Keith nodded and pushed himself further into Lance's chest. Lance laced his arms under his knees and picked him up. He set Keith down on his bed, then lied down next to him. Keith latched onto Lance's chest and held him tightly. Lance chuckled and pet his hair, "I'll stay with you until you fall asleep."

Keith fell asleep around nine. Lance stayed with him until nine-thirty; then untangled himself from his grasp. If he drove all night and got home in the morning, he could be back in less than two days. That depended on how the visit went, of course. Lance left his suitcase and covered Keith with his jacket before he left. As much as it hurt to leave him, he knew this could be the last time.

Lance started the car and closed his eyes. He took a long breath and whispered to himself. "The last time."