Remission

Keith was discharged a week later. He was still on a few medications, but Dr. Sallow said he was cancer-free and it didn't look like any other problems were going to happen. Other than the meds and doctor's visits, Keith got to continue life as the normal teenager that he never was. He had to take a year to build up his immune system, so he continued with homeschooling. Lance offered to do it with him, but Keith told him to stay at the high school and enjoy it while he could.

"Where are you going?" Keith rubbed his tired eyes and leaned against the doorframe of their bedroom. His skin glittered in the moonlight.

Lance finished tying his shoes and stood up, "I'm gonna go out with Isaac." His outfit of choice was jeans and a baggy jacket topped off with a hat he wore backwards.

"Oh," Keith's head lowered and he averted his gaze. His wig was a little messy from him falling asleep in it.

Lance walked over to him and wrapped his arms around his shoulders. He kissed Keith's hair and swayed back and forth. "Do you not want me to?"

Keith latched onto his jacket and nuzzled into his chest, "Of course I don't." His grasp tightened, "But you should go and have fun. Just come back to me."

Lance lifted Keith's chin with light fingers and leaned into a sweet kiss. He kept it slow and methodical. Their eyes stayed closed for a second after they pulled away. "I'll always come back to you."

Keith didn't look convinced, but nodded and gave him a quick kiss. "Okay. Be back before six."

"Gotcha." Lance kissed him one last time before heading out the door.

Hector and Marci walked into Isaac's house with beer and enthusiastic cheers. Lance didn't like drinking, so he and Isaac snorted cocaine on the coffee table as the others got drunk and shot up.

"Man," Isaac nudged Lance's shoulder, "Congrats on the husband!"

"What's up with his man?" Marci took a sip of her beer as she lounged sideways on the armchair.

Isaac shook his head at her, but Lance jumped in. "It's alright." He turned to Marci and brought a knee up to hug it. "My husband, Keith, had cancer. Now he's in remission, so we are finally back home."

"Oh," she nodded, "So you started using because of him."

"You better watch your mouth." Lance didn't hesitate with his answer. Marci liked to test people, and he wasn't having it.

She smirked, pulling her bright red lipstick up. "Gotcha, Blue."

"Ignore her," Isaac handed him a rolled up twenty.

"She doesn't scare me." Lance kept his eyes on Marci as he said it. After she averted her gaze, he continued the coke lines. After he relaxed in his high, he turned to Isaac. "You wanna get me some crack?"

Lance stumbled in the house with a mild headache. He left his shoes and coat at the door, tossing his hat on the couch. Stretching and yawning, he walked into the bedroom and tugged his shirt off.

"Hey." Keith's sleepy voice greeted him.

Lance turned back to give him a nod, "Hey." He stepped out of his jeans and threw his clothes into the hamper.

"Are you gonna come to bed?" Keith lied back down on the pillow and stretched his arm out.

"Not right now," he snatched his sweatpants from the closet and walked toward the bathroom. "I'm gonna shower."

"Here," Keith rolled over and motioned for him to come. "Give me a kiss before you do."

"Not right now," Lance snapped turned the shower on. He felt irritable and tired. "I'll be there later."

"Oh," Keith cowered back and rolled over. "Okay, that's fine."

Lance went to step in the shower, but a pang of guilt stabbed his lungs. He rolled his eyes and walked over to Keith. Tugging the blanket down, he smiled and kissed his forehead. "Sorry, baby. I guess I'm just tired."

Keith forced a smile and held his cheek, "That's okay." He pointed to the bathroom and crinkled his nose, "Now go shower, you smell terrible."

Lance chuckled and kissed his cheek one more time. "Alright."