The Phone Call

Pidge and Hunk visited Keith and Lance for a weekend. They all decided on a gaming marathon, so Pidge brought all her games and consoles. Hunk provided a wide variety of foods such as: pizza, chips, soda, and some healthier options for Keith.

"Pidge! It's right there!" Lance screamed and held onto Keith's arm.

"I'm kinda fucking busy at the moment!" She stood from the couch and pounded on the buttons of her controller.

"Pidge!" Hunk shouted her name with his mouth stuffed.

Lance flinched at the jump-scare onscreen and latched onto Keith's shirt.

Keith shook his head, "You guys are babies!" He held a hand out, "Gimme that."

Pidge shrugged and handed him the controller, "Knock yourself out."

Lance stared up at Keith as he played. His hair was now replaced by his cute red lion hat. It was one Krolia made him the first time he shaved his head. Keith's attitude had improved now that his hair was gone. His happiness was genuine now. Lance could never understand what he was feeling, but that wasn't his job. His job was to be there no matter how Keith felt. He smiled and frantically pointed the screen, "Keith! It's right there! Go left!"

"Right or left?!" Keith started tensing up as the adrenaline kicked in.

The group shouted in unison as they all cringed. "Left! Go left!"

Lance felt Keith's pocket vibrate. He reached in and slipped his phone out. When he saw the caller ID, his jaw dropped along with his heart.

Keith glanced at him, "Who is it?"

Lance locked eyes with him, clutching the phone. "It's Dr. Sallow."

"Oh fuck this," Keith tossed the controller back to Pidge and yanked the phone from Lance's hand. He picked up the TV remote and muted it as he answered, "Hello?"

All of them craned their necks to watch his expressions. Lance stood to walk over to him.

Keith held a finger up to him as his voice stayed calm and collected. "Yes, I remember."

Lance stared at him in confusion and motioned to the phone.

Keith shook his head and shoved his arm away. His mouth was plastered in a permanent neutral position. "Of course, I understand."

Lance couldn't take the pain of not knowing what was being said. His hands shook as he searched for any sign of good or bad news.

"Monday?" Keith groaned in thought. "Is that enough time?"

Lance tensed his hands up in frustration as he followed him around the room.

"Yes, of course." Keith's eyes drifted in thought. "No, that would be bad." His fingers tapped the wall as he leaned against it. His voice stayed neutral, "Yeah, I understand." He looked over at Lance as he continued his conversation on the phone. "He agrees with me."

Lance threw his hands up in frustration and whispered, "What?!"

Keith gave a nod to the phone, "I understand." He tapped his thumb on the screen the end the call. Lifting his head and staring at the wall with squished eyebrows.

Lance ran up to him and shook his shoulders, "What did he say?!"

Keith's eyes stayed vacant as his breathing increased. He teared up a little and scrunched up his nose.

Lance held his cheeks and wiped his tears with his eyes. He took a quick look over at the worried Pidge and Hunk approaching them. Returning to Keith, he kissed his forehead. "Baby, what happened? What did he say?" He kissed his cheek, "What's wrong?"

Keith bent over slightly and let out a sob. "Lance it's happening."

Lance's eyes widened. He panicked, "What's happening?"

Keith sniffled and took in a big breath. He lifted his chest and placed his hands on Lance's cheeks. A smile painted his lips, "I'm getting my bone marrow transplant."

It took a few moments for the words to register in his mind. He stared into Keith's eyes, switching from one to the other. "What?"

Keith let out a happy sob and yanked his shoulders to him, bringing him into a tight hug. "I'm getting my transplant!"

Pidge and Hunk gasped and shared surprised looks. Lance held Keith's waist as his mind was still processing, "You're getting the transplant?"

"Yeah!" Keith buried his face into the crook of his neck. He repeated it as he processed the words himself, "I'm getting my transplant! Like soon!"

"Oh my god," Lance teared up and hugged him tighter. This was it. Keith could be cured. He could live for years instead of days. It was finally happening-the most exciting and frightening thing yet. "When?!"

Keith balled up Lance's shirt in his fists and laughed. "I go into conditioning on Monday."

Lance pulled back to bring Keith into a deep kiss and pick him up. He spun him around a couple times, then slowly lowered him down. They kept their foreheads connected as they cried and laughed. Pidge and Hunk wrapped their arms around them in a group hug.

Pidge sniffled, "We'll get to have you longer now."

Keith laughed and hugged her head, "You won't get rid of me that easy!"

Pidge giggled and hugged him back, "You go kick that cancer's ass."