Please Be Okay

Keith burst into Lance's hospital room with tears in his eyes. His breath hitched and his heart dropped to his stomach. Lance's forearms we're wrapped in a beige bandage, one lying across his chest and the other on a pillow. His legs were coated in white gauze and wraps. Keith could see the red soaking through them. Lance's cheeks were painted with skid marks. His eyes were closed; dark bruises framed them. Melodic beeping pounded on Keith's ears as they filled the room. A woman sat in a chair next to Lance, holding the hand in the pillow. A man sat on the couch by the window with his head in his hands.

Keith didn't know if they stared at him when he walked in; his eyes stayed locked on Lance. He dropped his bag on the ground and inched his feet toward him, mumbling to himself. "No, no, no."

He walked up to Lance and held his black and blue face in his hands. It was broken. The road and glass and metal had all ruined it. His face was so beautiful, but now it was just sad. Keith hiccuped a sob and brought their foreheads together. He took in a sharp breath and whispered to him. "Please be okay."

"Mmm," Lance groaned and opened his black eyes. He blinked a few times to adjust to the light. His voice was jerky and exhausted, "Keith?"

"Lance!" Keith gently brought him into a hug, lowering his chest to the bed so Lance didn't move much. "You stupid son of a bitch!" He moved away and held his face. He stared into his eyes with anger and relief, "Don't you ever die before me."

A tear fell from Lance's eye as he brought a weak hand to Keith's face, "You're here?"

"Yes, I'm here." Keith glared into his twinkling dusty blue eyes, "And I'm so mad at you."

A smile formed on Lance's chapped cut lips. "You're cute when you're angry."

Keith's eyes clamped shut as they squeezed out more tears. He cried and pitifully hit Lance's shoulder, "You can't do that to me! I'm supposed to die before you! I'm the one with-" a sob stopped his words, "I'm the one with cancer!"

"Keith lo-" he coughed, causing Keith to immediately focus all his attention on him. Lance wiped a tear with his thumb, "I was trying to get back to you."

"What?!" Keith's voice was erratic, constantly changing in tone and volume.

"I," he brought in a strained breath, "I don't hate you. I was trying to," he took another breath, "trying to go back and tell you that I-" Lance started coughing again, bringing his other hand to in to clutch his chest.

Keith tugged on his collar, "That you what?!"

Lance caught his breath. His sparkling irises looked up at him with pure happiness. "That I want to stay."

Keith stared at him for a silent second. Then his face scrunched up as he cried out, "You could've done that without getting hurt!" He hit his shoulder again, "You stupid, arrogant-!" He kept striking him, "dangerous piece of shit!"

Lance brought his arm around Keith's neck and pulled him to his chest with a laugh. He sniffled, "I'm so stupid. I let you think I hated you." His grip tightened, "I should never have left you."

Keith latched onto his chest, letting tears soak his clothes. "If you ever die, I'll never forgive you!"

Lance let out a strained chuckle and stroked Keith's hair, "Okay." Keith felt his head turn, "Mamá, ¿puedes dejarnos en paz por un minuto?"

Lance's parents exited the room with Krolia and left them alone. For a while, Keith just stayed leaning on his chest. Then Lance loosened his hold, "Keith, come up here."

Keith gave him a surprised look, "What?"

Lance patted the bed, scooting over as much as he could, "Come up here."

Keith continued to stare, contemplating whether or not he wanted to. Lance was hurt. He didn't want to injure him more.

Lance tilted his head, "It's not as bad as it looks." He patted his chest, "I don't even have any broken ribs." He pointed at Keith, "And you're tiny."

Keith scoffed and shook his head in thought. He turned back to a teary-eyed Lance. Lance's lips quivered as he pleaded with him. "Please? I was so scared."

Keith checked to make sure the door was shut, then he slowly climbed up on the bed. He sat on the edge and kicked off his boots before turning around. Lance had his arms open to allow access to his chest, which Keith happily took. They nuzzled together and got as comfortable as possible.

Lance tightened his grip on Keith's shoulders and let out a sharp breath, "I didn't want to cry in front of my parents."

Keith's eyes widened and he pulled away to look at Lance's face. Tears crossed over the bridge of his nose and weaved into the pillow. Keith stared in surprise, "Why are you crying?"

Lance covered his eyes with the backs of his bloody hands. His voice quivered, "I thought I was gonna die. I thought I was never going to see you again." He bit his lip and swallowed hard, "That you would hate me forever."

Keith shook his head in disbelief. Lance thought he hated him? How could he? Keith took his hands off his face and kissed his forehead. "I'm right here. You're okay now."

Lance sniffled and nodded his head, "Yeah."

"Yeah," Keith snuggled back into his chest and closed his eyes. He was hesitant to get in the bed, but now that he was he refused to leave for any reason.

"Hey Keith?"

"Hmm?" Keith looked up at him with soft eyes.

Lance lifted his chin and placed a gentle kiss on his lips. They pulled a few centimeters apart for a second, then returned to deepen the kiss. Keith could taste the iron from Lance's rough cuts. His hands held Keith's neck and threaded into his hair. Lance was sweet and kind. He was strong for everyone and never complained. The most considerate, loving, caring, beautiful person. He was everything Keith wished he could be.

Lance slowly pulled away, letting their lips reach for each other. He let out a soft chuckle, "That's how it should've gone."