Ch 72 - I'm Being a Good Guest

"A-A-Amazing!" Luffy and Usopp screamed while Emmy tentatively reached out her hand and tugged gently on Robin's sleeve.

"R...Robin...Who is this man? Is he very rich and powerful?" Emmy asked quietly.

Robin tilted her head to the side. "I don't think he is."

"But..." Emmy whispered, "He lives in a palace."

They had sailed the Merry around the coast to the eastern part of Jaya to find this Montblanc Cricket, who might be able to help them. The ship was now docked at right at the edge of the coastline, where this mystery man seemed to have built his home. His home was not a house, however, but a gigantic five story palace with towers and flags waving out at them.

"Idiots," Zoro said from the top mast, "Take a closer look."

Sanji ashed his cigarette and scoffed. "A dreamer, huh? He does seem to be vain."

"Huh? What does he mean?" Chopper asked. He brought his hooves to his eyes and tried to get a better look.

Emmy shook her head. "I have no idea."

Luffy jumped over the ship and down to the grassy land. He sprinted around the premises and as soon as he got to the back of the palace, he let out a scream. "What the...?! It's just a board?!"

"WHAT?!" Usopp, Emmy, and Chopper exclaimed.

"The actual house is only half of it. The rest is just a veneer," Zoro said.

"Who is this man?" Namio asked to their newest member, "What did he do to get driven out of town?"

"I don't know exactly," Robin admitted, "But the towns people have heard him say that a huge amount of gold rests in Jaya."

Usopp and Nami leaned in closer. "GOLD?!"

"Is there some buried treasure here or something?" Nami demanded.

Robin shrugged. "We'll have to ask him."

"EMMY!" Luffy called out. His arms stretched up and over the railing. His hands grabbed the first mate by the waist and hoisted her up. He grinned when he snapped back his arms and Emmy stood in front of him, albeit a little winded, "Shishishi. Come see this!"

He grabbed her hand and led her to the back of the house where she could see for herself the tall, painted panel stuck to the front. It was held up by two large wooden beams. The house itself was a modest two-story building with white brick and embellishments painted pink and red over the top of the rounded first floor. It had a wooden door and wooden shutters. The house was an odd shape. It looked as if used to be a fully circular house but then exactly half of it was demolished and the panel was stuck in its place.

Luffy walked to the door and his free hand started to move to the knob but then he caught himself. He shot a sheepish grin to the first mate and then gave three sharp knocks to the front door. "Hello? Anybody home? Okay, I'm coming in."

Without waiting for an answer, he opened the unlocked door and walked briskly into the room. Emmy stopped right beneath the doorway and gave a small bow to the vacant house. "Sorry to bother you."

Luffy blinked at the space. Someone indeed lived here. There was a tea set resting on a small dining table on one side of the room and a bed on the other. There was a stove and sink towards the back and bookshelves along the walls. A set of stairs sat in the middle of the room with the back of it facing the door.

Luffy frowned. "Aw. It's empty. No one's home."

Usopp came running from behind. "You idiots! What're you gonna do if this guy's dangerous?"