Ch 87 - I Must Be Stronger

Kaboom!

Emmy shielded her face with her arms from the blinding light and driving gale. Sunlight burst through the darkened mass and the storm clouds exploded into nothing.

"Luffy?" Emmy whispered as she lowered her arms to gaze up at the clear skies.

She had sat helplessly with her nakama, the Shandians, Gan Fall, and Pierre as she watched Enel try to pummel Skypiea with his lightning storm. His ark had risen higher and higher as the lightning struck faster and harder than the one before it. She had felt the rage and frustration building up within Luffy and then she saw it for herself when he rushed up Giant Jack with a big golden ball stuck at the end of his hand.

But she could do nothing but watch.

Watch as he ran up to face Enel once more. Watch as Nami suddenly appeared with not just Usopp but an unconscious Sanji. Watch as Nami raced up with her waver to try to bring Luffy back down so that they could all try to get away to safety.

Watch as Zoro and Wyper ran off and cut down Giant Jack per Nami's instructions later to help Luffy reach Enel, who had sailed past the highest clouds to get to the golden belfry.

Watch as Luffy flew into the thick, condensed storm and obliterate it with his own strength.

"RAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!"

Luffy's rallying cry echoed down as if from the heavens and Emmy's eyes filled with tears.

"Go, Luffy! Go!" Usopp cheered as he danced around his nakama.

Kaboom!

Suddenly, blue lightning pierced through the sky from the miniscule silhouette of the ark and Chopper let out a shriek and jumped closer to Emmy.

"Don't worry, Doctor," Robin said without taking her eyes away from the sky, "That won't work on the captain."

"Luffy...Defeat Enel-sama...Ring the bell," Emmy whispered. She closed her eyes and focused her attention on the bond with the captain, "Free...free Skypiea."

She winced at the sign of pain and burning that flashed through their bond but it was quickly replaced with fury and determination.

I believe in you...Luffy!

"GUM GUM...RIFLE!"

A blurry whirlwind sailed through the sky and was met with the sounds of splintering wood and a deafening cry of a false god.

Bong! Bong!

For a second, it felt like the air stilled and the whole world went quiet as the Fire of Shandora sang out once more, reminding humanity of its existence and its majesty.

Bong! Bong!

"CAN YOU HEAR IT, OLD DIAMOND-HEAD?! MONKEYS?!" Luffy screamed, "THE CITY OF GOLD WAS RIGHT HERE!"

Bong! Bong!

"Th-that bonehead. He really did it. He really did it!" Usopp wept.

"So...this was the ring that Noland heard," Sanji grunted as he awoke. He sat up and fit a cigarette to his lips.

They sat there in silence, letting the ringing wash over them like a blessing. Even though the bell couldn't have rung for more than a few minutes, when it was done, everyone felt like they had just woken to a new day.

-------------------------------

"My poor Emmy-chan!" Sanji wailed as he carried Emmy in his arms through the ruins while Chopper ran forward to tend to Wyper. He set the first mate down on the ledge of a broken wall and glared at the swordsman, who was seated across the street from them, "How could you have let this happen?"