Ch. 6 - I am Part of the Crew.

The sounds of glass breaking sent Luffy, Emmy, Coby, and Rika running into her mother's bar through the back door. They crossed the kitchen and stopped at the doorway which led to the dining area. They spotted Helmeppo sitting at the center of the restaurant with broken glassware on the floor and his feet propped up on the wooden table. His two marine goons stood protectively behind him.

"I'm hungry! Let us all eat for free!" Helmeppo demanded, "Bring me some booze! Quit dawdling! Hurry it up!"

Emmy held Rika by the shoulders and kept her close to her side. Helmeppo hadn't spotted them yet and Emmy didn't want the sight of Rika to irritate the man anymore. They watched as Rika's mother poured Helmeppo a glass of wine.

"Oh, yes!" Helmeppo laughed victoriously, "I've been bored recently so I've decided I'm going to execute Zoro tomorrow. Look forward to it!"

Emmy's hand on Rika tightened, feeling the child's angered impulse to run out to the man. However, Emmy didn't bother to stop the other person who felt the same desire.

Thwack!

Luffy's punch sent Helmeppo flying into the back wall. He slumped to the floor while clutching his cheek, which was starting to swell. "Y-y-you hit me?!" he gasped.

"Luffy-san! Please stop!" Coby pleaded running out from the kitchen and holding Luffy back by the arms.

"That guy is scum!" Luffy yelled.

"You know who I am? I'm Captain Morgan's son!" Helmeppo cried, "I'm gonna tell my dad and he's gonna execute you!"

"Fight me yourself!" Luffy challenged.

"Luffy-san, calm down! Are you trying to get on the navy's bad side?" Coby asked.

"I've made up my mind, Coby!" Luffy shouted, "I'm going to have Zoro as part of my crew!"

"Wh-wh-what nonsense!" Helmeppo sputtered as he started to back away towards the door, "I'll have you and him both executed tomorrow! I'm going to tell my dad right now!"

With that he raced out of the restaurant and as soon as the door swung shut Emmy released Rika.

"LUFFY!" Rika exclaimed, bursting forth and throwing her arms around Luffy's leg, "Are you going to be okay?"

"Rika?!" her mother gasped from behind the bar, "Do you know this man?"

Emmy stepped out from the kitchen and she bowed to the woman. "Good afternoon. My name is Emmy and that is my brother, Luffy. We found your daughter by the marine base and had thought it best to bring her home."

"Ummm...." Rika's mother said, her eyes going back and forth between Emmy and Luffy, unsure of who to address first, "Thank you?"

"It was our pleasure," Emmy said and then turned to her brother, "So you've decided?"

Luffy nodded. "Yep. He's going to be our nakama."

"Okay. Then do what you gotta do," Emmy said, "I'll wait for you and Zoro-san here."

Luffy grinned. "Shishishishi. When he joins, you should just call him Zoro. He'll be our nakama after all!" he said with a wave of his hand and then he ran through the backdoor to go back to the marine base the same way they came.

"Emmy-san!" Coby cried, "You're not going to stop him? Luffy-san is going to get himself killed!"

"Could you?" Emmy asked and Coby fell silent. Emmy smiled and then turned to Rika's mother, "If possible, I would like to work here for the day. I am in need of some money and would gladly clean and cook here for the rest of the day. You can pay me as you see fit."