Ch. 13 - I am a Professional.

"We are not in need of any additional help. It might seem like we are understaffed at the moment but that is only because the staff is on leave today."

The butler was as stiff as a board while he adjusted his spectacles with the palm of his hand. He stood as tall as Zoro with an even rigider posture. His short black hair was slicked back with not a strand out of place. He wore a black suit with golden markings on each side of his blazer. Emmy couldn't tell if they were in the shape of gourds or poop.

"I would only need to work for today then. I can leave as soon as night falls," Emmy rushed, not to be deterred as she kept her head bowed, "Please. Just give me the opportunity and I will show you that I am very good at what I do."

The butler sniffed and he eyed the girl before placing his hands behind his back. "Very well," he said, "Someone needs to clean the chandeliers anyways and the second butler in charge, who usually does it, hasn't returned from his errand yet. I might as well have you do it."

Emmy bowed. "Thank you very much."

"Follow me," he said as he turned on his heels and walked brusquely through the main hall of the mansion, "What is your name?"

"Monkey D. Emmy," Emmy said and she followed closely behind.

"The lady we serve is Kaya-sama," Klahadore explained, "She is ill so only Merry and I are to serve her directly. By no means should you ever be in contact with her."

Emmy tilted her head to the side. "Klahadore-san, I don't mean to be rude but...have you not been a butler long?"

Klahadore stopped right in his tracks and Emmy felt him tick. I've touched a nerve.

"What makes you say that, Emmy-chan?" Klahadore asked curtly.

"The standard practice is that when the lady or lord of the house is not feeling well," Emmy said softly, "We, as the staff, are not to call attention to it. We would not use the words 'ill' or 'sick', even amongst each other."

Klahadore adjusted his glasses and Emmy could feel his pressure rise. "It is true. I have only been a butler here for 3 years, Emmy-chan. Kaya-sama's father took me in 3 years ago. I was starving on the streets and he showed pity on me. I learned everything by watching Merry."

"I see," Emmy said and she smiled apologetically, "I'm sorry if I touched a sensitive topic for you. I didn't realize."

"That is quite alright," Klahadore recovered smoothly as he continued on his way, "If anything, this just shows what a professional you are. You must have served some very important people."

Emmy had to make a little effort to keep the smile on her face. "Ah," she said, "I served two different households before I came here."

Klahadore clucked his tongue. "At such a young age too and already working this much."

Emmy tilted her head to the side. There was no sincerity in him when he said that. His tone might have sounded sympathetic it but he didn't feel it. There was something slightly off with this butler. Before she could pry any deeper, she heard a loud crashing sound coming from outside.

The sudden rise in annoyance and malice from Klahadore made Emmy flinch and she took a step back just as he turned around to face her. He misinterpreted her reaction and he adjusted his spectacles. "Don't worry, Emmy-chan. I know who that could be and he is no danger to us. He's just a meddlesome fool."

He rushed off past Emmy, out towards the front door and Emmy hastily chased after him. What was that?, Emmy thought, Just now...I felt...bloodlust?