Ch 41 - I am His Partner.

"Sanji! Look!" Emmy called out as she rode on the back of a saber-toothed tiger and pointed upwards to one of the many jungle trees around them. Her headband was off and safely tucked into her apron pocket. There was no need for it since Emmy couldn't feel anything outside of her own emotions, "That tree has fruits. Does that look edible?"

"Maybe," the cook mused. He dropped the large t-rex he was dragging and he gave the trunk of the tree a hard kick, shaking the top hard enough for the fruit to fall. He tossed it over to the first mate, who had an already filled basket of assorted fruits and vegetables strapped to her back, "Put it in with the rest and we'll check it all later. Boy, this island is filled with unusual things."

"Dinosaurs...saber-toothed tigers...even the plant life are from another time," Emmy breathed as she rubbed the tiger behind the ear, "You're amazing, Sabertooth-san."

He slowed down his pace and rumbled out a low purr of satisfaction.

"What's amazing is how fast it took a liking to you after we saved it from this dinosaur, Emmy-chan," Sanji said. He led the way through the jungle with the dinosaur behind him while Emmy and the tiger trotted next to him. They had felt the boom of an active volcano nearby so it was no wonder that the plants were brimming with life from the nutritious soil the volcano provided.

"Animals have a deep sense of loyalty," Emmy replied, "And they bond easily to those who approach them without any malicious intent."

"Ooh, Emmy-chan, are you getting your powers back? Are you starting to sense what the tiger is feeling?" Sanji asked.

Emmy shook her head. "I still can't feel anything from others. This is just based on experience. I remember I once saved a bear cub, who got caught in a trap. It followed me for days. I almost got in trouble with it's mother if it wasn't for Luffy."

"What did he do? Kill it?"

"No, he pulled me up into a tree and got me home safely," Emmy giggled at the memory, "He wanted to, though, but I didn't want to leave the cub motherless. It was still so young."

"Did you handle a lot of animals growing up?"

"Only when I started to live with Luffy and Dadan-san," Emmy said, "There were a lot of animals in the mountains."

"How long did you live with Luffy?"

"About two years," Emmy replied, "Then we came out to sea."

"Only two years, huh?" Sanji said with a smile, "Feels like you and Luffy have known each other longer."

"Because we're siblings?"

Sanji paused in his step for just a moment. "That too...But then again, it's not too surprising. That idiot is pretty easy to read."

Emmy looked down at her hands, resting on top of the tiger's head. "Is that so...?" Emmy said softly, "Because I don't know if he's mad at me or not..."

Sanji turned to look at her. "Is...is that what you've been worried about this whole time? You've been avoiding coming outside the deck because of him and not Vivi-chan?"

Emmy bit her lip and then she hung her head. "Yes."

"And you're not angry at him...instead you're worried that he's angry with you?"

Emmy's head bobbed in a half nod, keeping her face hidden from Sanji. "Yes."

Sanji ran a hand through his hair and he smiled defeatedly at the girl. So you weren't scared of Vivi-chan...You were more scared that Luffy was angry with you...That's why his words cheered you up...