Returning Home

1 year, 3 months, 6 minutes and 27 seconds. Merlin looked at his watch as another second passed, and another and another and another. God, he couldn't take it anymore. Arthur had been gone for 1 year, 3 months and 46 seconds. This was his longest tour yet, Merlin fuckin hated it. He was so proud of Arthur for being a soldier and fighting for what he believed in, but all he wanted was to have his husband back safe and in his arms. Arthur's plane was supposed to land around 3 pm and it was 3:15. Merlin could feel his heart pounding in his ears and chest.

What if the plane crashed? What if he didn't make it? NO! Arthur promised me, he promised me! Merlin couldn't breathe, his chest felt tight and heavy like sand. He felt his knees give out, but a pair of strong arms wrapped around him before he could hit the floor. 

"Breathe. You need to breathe for me, Dear." A deep and familiar voice said, their hands running up and down Merlin's back, holding him close. Merlin looked up to see a pair of stunning blue eyes and golden blonde hair that sat on his head like a crown. 

"Arthur?" 

"I'm here, my love," Arthur whispered, his lips brushing Merlin ear as he spoke. Feeling Arthur's lips brush his skin, he seemed to snap out of his trance. Pulling back from Arthur's arms, Merlin saw his husbands handsome face and goof-ball smile. His hair laying on top of his head perfect like always, his blue eyes shining with love and amazement. A look only Merlin received. Merlin's eyes traced Arthur's broad shoulders that he missed so fuckin much while he was sleeping. Pillows were nice, but Arthur was the best pillow with his overly warm and soft skin. From his shoulders to his strong arms that always seemed to be wrapped around him, arms that held him up when the bad days just seemed too much to bear. Finally Arthur's hands. Merlin wasn't ashamed to admit that Arthur's hands were his favorite physical aspect of his husband.  Arthur's hands were large, coarse, and strong. For a soldier, Arthur was so unbelievably gentle and kind. Merlin had only ever seen Arthur become violent once, and it was when some arse at a pub called him a faggot. Arthur's hands were always in his line of vision, Arthur just loved to have physical contact between them. His hands either holding Merlin's, on the small of Merlin's back, running through his hair as they kissed, just always there. Arthur's wedding band was also on his hands which Merlin loved. He loved knowing that other people could see that Arthur was his, that he was untouchable. Right, know Arthur's hands were laced with Merlin's, his thumb lightly tracing the back of his hand. Everything seemed to hit Merlin and the next second he was jumping at Arthur. Wrapping his arms around his neck and legs around his waist. 

"You're home," Merlin whispered leaning his forehead against Arthur's. 

"I promised you I would come back," Arthur said as he somehow pulled Merlin closer. 

"Don't leave me again, ever," Merlin told Arthur with pleading eyes. 

"Wouldn't dream of it," Arthur replied before finally closing the distance between them. For the first time in over a year, Merlin got to feel Arthur's lips against his. They were soft and firm and real. Merlin felt tears start to roll down his cheeks as they kissed, he could never get enough of Arthur. He always needs more, a lifetime wasn't long enough, nothing was. Arthur's tongue found its way into Merlin's mouth and Merlin couldn't help but smile. Arthur tasted exactly like he always did. Like mint and coffee and something that he could only describe as Arthur. It was perfect. Finally, Arthur had to pull away for air, pulling back Merlin pouted at him. Arthur just laughed and rolled his eyes, 

"We have plenty of time to kiss."

"Let's go home," Merlin said as he loosed his grip on Arthur, expecting to be put down but Arthur just held on tighter. 

"I don't want to let go." He mumbled looking down and biting his lip. Merlin just smiled and lifted Arthur's jaw, 

"Then don't. Hold on to me for forever. I'll hold on to you just as tight." 

"Promise?"

"Always," Merlin said as he gave Arthur a soft kiss on his lips then buried his face in the crock of his neck. Merlin felt Arthur lend down and pick up his bag. With a small grunt Arthur starting walking, carrying the most important thing in the world home safely.  

-The End