Adoption

I want to thanks Kadithelazyfoodie for being my beta reader!

Merlin counted everything, from the clothes to the toys, and even the days. Every little thing had to be perfect, Merlin told Arthur this over and over again. The call came in after 1 year, 5 months, 6 days, and 7 minutes. Arthur was the one who picks up the phone,

"Hello, this is Arthur Pendragon."

"Hello, Mr. Pendragon. This is Linda McCall from the adoption agency, I have some good news. A baby boy was just at Camelot Memorial, the mother has put him up for adoption. Closed adoption and full custody, his yours if you want him."

Arthur could feel his heart in his throat as he looked at Merlin with big eyes, "What's his name?" he asked with a shaky voice.

"That's up to you and your husband, Mr.Pendragon."

"Yes. Yes, Yes, Yes. God, yes! We want him. We Will be there in a couple of minutes."

"I'll see you in a bit, Mr.Pendragon." Arthur could hear a smile in her voice as she hung up.

Arthur slowly put his phone in his pocket and looked up at his husband. Merlin's eyes were a blinding blue, he could see his joy and hope sparkling behind the tears.

"That was the adoption agency. We got our kid, Merlin we're getting our kid."

Merlin was off the couch in a second, running full force at Arthur, jumping up and wrapping his legs around his waist. Merlin's lips were on his, and Merlin was trying to kiss him without losing it. Pulling back, Merlin barked out a laugh, "We did it! We're getting a kid! When? When are we getting him?"

"Now, we need to head to Camelot Memorial."

Merlin's jaw dropped and he started to kick Arthur. Trying to push away from Arthur and get back on the ground, "Let me go, you clotpole. We have somewhere important to be." Arthur let out a deep, heartfelt laugh as he let Merlin down. And he watched as Merlin went running around the house, getting their shoes, and the car seat out of the hall closest. Finally, Merlin took his hand and led them to the car. Merlin sat there the whole time, jumping up and down, taping his fingers on his leg. Arthur took his hand and kissed his knuckles.

"It's going to be fine. You are going to be the best father in the world. I know you are."

"I know, it's just... what if he doesn't like me?"

"That's impossible. Merlin, there is no way that our child isn't going to love you. You are so unbelievably great, and perfect. You are going to be incredible."

"So are you." Arthur smiled brightly at Merlin as they pulled into the hospital.

"You ready?" Arthur asked as he unbuckled his seat and grabbed the baby bag. Merlin nodded as he got out of the car, he immediately ran to Arthur's door and took his hand as he got out.

"Let's go get our son."

They entered the hospital with their hands locked, both of them trying not to shake. They had both waited so long for this to happen, Arthur holding Merlin close at night as he cried into his shoulder when a straight couple was chosen over them. It was happening, they had been waiting over a year for this. Linda McCall was waiting for them when they entered, she smiled brightly at them.

"Arthur, Merlin, I believe there is someone you want to meet." They both just nodded their heads, as Linda led them to the maternity units. Quietly she led them inside and to a crib that held their little boy. Looking down they saw a little boy, with his limbs spread out and sleeping. He had pale skin, with round rosy cheeks, his nose was small and button-shaped. He was perfect, to Merlin and Arthur he was just perfect.

"I'll be right back with the paperwork," Linda said as she left the room.

"Arthur, he's beautiful. God, he's so flipping perfect."

"He really is Merls," Arthur said wrapping his arms around Merlin's waist, "He needs a name."

"Braydon. Braydon Arthur Pendragon." Merlin said gently tracing his son's face with his finger.

Arthur smiled into Merlin's neck, "Perfect."

When Linda returned, they filled out all the paperwork, officially given him a name, and then signing the adoption papers.

"Congratulations. You two are now parents. Braydon is a very lucky boy." She hugged them both and left. A nurse came in and gave them the check-out papers, once they were filled, the nurse told them they could take their son home. Carefully both of them approach the crib, Arthur looked up at Merlin and bit his lip.

"Go on, you don't need permission from me to hold your son." Merlin said as he rolled his eyes. Arthur slowly wrapped his arms around his son as he picked Braydon up. Braydon made a small noise in the back of his throat but just snuggled closer to Arthur's chest. Arthur saw a flash and looked up to see Merlin taking a photo.

"Sorry, I couldn't help myself." Merlin said with a grin. Arthur just nodded and looked back down at his son, he felt a tear run down his cheek, only to be caught by Merlin's fingers.

"Merls, he is perfect."

"I know, just like his papa." Merlin said kissing Arthur's cheek. Braydon made a noise as he shifted in Arthur's arms to look up at his father's. Arthur and Merlin were met with a pair of stunning green eyes with specks of blue and brown in them. Braydon smiled dopey at them as he fell back asleep in his papa's arms. Right then and there, Merlin and Arthur knew that their life was finally complete.

-THE END