18. The Encounter at Mt. Grisly

Start from the beginning

His physique was not visible but from his height, it was definitely Reid. His hood was similar to mine covering half of my face akin to the time I saw him on the balcony. Only this time, he was not wearing a full mask.

"A mortal came inside here, Reichen. I thought only us, Amicas, could enter," informed the guy.

So he was called Reichen here. I was right, it was really his alias.

"Go inside, Sullien. We do not have enough time. I'll take care of this," he directed.

The man hesitated but reluctantly obeyed in the end.

"You have disguised yourself well, Ace. I did not expect you to come late," he muttered as soon as the other man left.

I stared at him dumbfounded. I was disguised but how come he recognized me? I was not even wearing my mask. Just the face of this stranger. 

"How do you know me?" The astonishment could not be hidden when I spoke.

"You can say I have my ways to recognize a fellow Amica. Not to mention, you are the only Amica alive who could change their appearance at will."

Amica. That word again.

I was momentarily distracted when he swung his sword out of the blue. My body automatically dodged and I unsheathed my dagger without transforming it. I preferred it rather than the twin blade as I was requiring speed to counter him.

He was swift as our weapons rattled together. I targeted his right side but the movement made me wince. He was able to attack and I deterred it with all my effort. I grimaced once again as I felt the sensitive wounds from my back.

"I did not come here to fight!" I screamed at him.

There was no killing intent in his attack so I concluded we could talk it out but he had no intentions to as he corrected his stance for another charge.

"Well, I'm sure you don't have anyone your level to spar with your puny missions," he said as his swords crashed toward me.

I raised my dagger to deflect it but the impact was quite strong. The slash on my back had not fully closed yet. Usually, I could withstand the pain but this time it felt different. A thought crossed my mind and I stilled. Am I poisoned?

I held my dagger with both hands to push him away and shifted my position. I staggered from the recoil of my sudden maneuver.

"Hey, are you okay?" I heard him say as he was inching forward to me.

I directed my dagger at him before he could come near.

"Calm down. I won't hurt you."

Yes, yes. I kept my eyes from rolling. As if I would believe someone who lurched his sword towards me seconds ago.

But he did not listen and still came close. I took the chance and kicked him with all my strength. I immediately pinned him below me. His hood was knocked off and I was face to face with him.

What the?!

His mask was similar to a phantom that covers the upper left of his face. It was glossy black with three stars that arched like a brow above his left eye. I could still see the majority of his appearance but there was no semblance of Reid that came into view. It was a different one with the same striking violet eyes as mine.

My eyes must be playing tricks on me! I thought and took off his mask but it just flabbergasted me more. It was completely stuck in his face.

"You know, you can't get it, right? It's the same as your mask. Only the wearer could take it off," he said as I foolishly continued to take his mask off.