Chapter Seventy-Three

All afternoon Crissa spent trying to calm herself after the attack. David somehow sensed he would be of good use staying in the cabin as a sentry and to give Crissa a much-needed sense of security. After their makeshift early dinner meal, where Crissa made burgers with the remaining ground beef and shared the cooked meet with her love, David, took his place in front of the door and remained on guard.

It was calculated by Crissa that sometime that night David, as well as Julie, would return to their former selves with the obvious waning of the moon and the noticeable difference in night brightness. How all this would play out in this the most difficult of months, was not known. Crissa was not sure, for example, how much she should still fear Julie. Especially if she were to come to the cabin late that night as once more a young woman. Could she ever trust her, or be cordial to her after the brutal attack which could have cost Crissa her life? Would any of her wolf aggression and bloodlust remain with her?

It was a certainty that no matter how things turned out for the girl from Alaska, all attempts would be made to get her back to Germany where a loving, loyal mate in Andreas, would undoubtedly be there to greet her.

As darkness set in, prior to the weakened moon's appearance, Crissa felt compelled to call Brad and update him on the situation. Just as she picked up her phone to dial him, it rang and Crissa could see it was Becky instead.

"Yes . . .? Becky. Hello."

"Hi there Crissa, Hope you've had a great weekend."

"There's been better ones," Crissa said weakly.

"OK, Sorry. Well, I just wanted to inform you that I could find no city official or Canadian agency that granted permission for a wolf cull anywhere around Vancouver. Those guys your parents met up with were acting totally on their own. And in violation of the law, Crissa. It sickens me that they killed two of our wolves, as you reported."

"Well, so what's going to happen if they show up again . . ."

Crissa immediately caught herself before giving away that she was in the very mountains where it happened.

"I mean . . . my parents surely don't want these rogue hunters patrolling near their neighborhood . . . feeling they have the power to kill wolves randomly there."

She looked over at David laying innocently on the floor in front of the door. Her guardian and lover.

"I mean, it's so unfair for those idiots with rifles to not even try to understand these creatures."

"Exactly, Crissa. Listen . . . would you be willing to speak to our group this week on campus? Tell them what you learned from your parents?"

Anything to do with school had been the last thing on Crissa's mind since the moon became full again and even days before it.

"Well . . . possibly."

"Great! By the way, I notified the RCMP about your parent's story. They said they'd look into any other complaints about unauthorized hunting up in that area and would make arrests if necessary."

"Alright, Becky. Thanks. That was good."

"Let me know if you have any more on this. I know you probably miss the opportunity to go out and be lucky enough to see our wolves again. It's such a joy to sight them. Even at a great distance."

"Yes, Becky. At a great distance . . . and  . . . up close."

"See you soon on campus, Crissa."