Chapter Twenty-Six

As Crissa and David entered the lodge, Mary and Josh seemed overly relieved to see them both. Brad and the professor were not present.

"Oh my gosh, you two,"  Mary exclaimed. "Josh and I were worried something might have happened to you.  It's just not safe outside at this hour."

"Sorry," Crissa responded. "We found some horses. Out there . . . in a barn. They're so beautiful!"

Mary looked at Crissa a little bewildered. "Horses?"

David spoke up. "I guess because of me now . . . you're all worried, huh?"

"No, David.  I didn't mean that."

"Don't worry. I'm totally expecting that attitude now. From everyone," he added. "David the beast.  Right?"

"David," Crissa interjected. "Mary was concerned for both of us, I'm sure."

"Come on, Dave," Josh weighed in. "It's just that . . . well, it's dark now.  We expect the pack to appear again tonight. Hopefully escorting Julie here. As they did with you."

"Yeah, and if they don't?  Julie won't go back easily, I can tell you that. You see, I have my reasons to return."

He looked revealingly at Crissa.

"But maybe her reason to stay is . . . here  now."

Mary looked down at the floor, realizing what David meant.

"We're just glad you're both inside for the night," Josh added. "It's going to be a long one, guys. I'm sure."

"So where are Brad . . . and the professor?" Crissa asked cautiously.

"They kept their argument going . . . when Brad returned from his room," Mary answered in desperation. "Gosh, there were lots of angry words in here."

"Well now it's my turn . . . to get some rest, that is," David said.

"Are you hungry, David?" Mary asked in a thoughtful manner. They all could see it brought a strange reaction to his face.

"Don't worry, beautiful," he said sarcastically. "I'm not going to have you for dinner."

"David!"

Crissa was surprised at his reaction, though they all could now understand his overly sensitive perceptions.

"OK. I'm sorry, Mary," David finally added. "That was cold. Yeah, I am  hungry. But I think just more sleepy right now."

"Come on, David." Crissa said, taking him by the hand. "We understand what you're going through."

She led him up the stairs to his and Brad's room. Brad was mysteriously not there. David threw himself immediately onto his own bed. He seemed instantly relaxed, relieved, and was soon unmoving. Crissa adjusted his pillow and went to the foot of his bed to remove his shoes. She could see the scratches and bruises still on his feet and legs—obviously from when he had been running in the wilderness with the wolves.

Perceiving his heavy breathing to be near sleep now, Crissa looked down upon his face in repose. He seemed innocent to her. Almost like a young boy. What would his life be like now, she sadly wondered?  She bent down and kissed his cheek, feeling a strong desire to lay next to him and give him comfort—some emotional protection from the horrific fate which now consumed him.

At that moment Brad burst into the room.

"What are you doing, Crissa? "  he shouted. "Get away from him!  David needs to be alone. He needs to sleep this whole nightmare off.  And away from us all!"