Chapter Thirty-Eight

As the two walked out along a tiled path at the edge of the campus, Crissa felt relieved that she finally knew of David's whereabouts and the fact that he was still committed to their plan. It had been a long day already and the evening promised a tsunami of even more details and particulars pertaining to her new life. Yet, holding David's hand as they walked near the cliff-edge overlooking the Pacific, it felt somehow very right to her. All her young life she had contemplated the feeling of being intimately near someone in heart and body. But until now, she never had the chance to sense the full impact of it. They eventually stopped near an isolated bench along a row of trees and sat.

"I'll be staying at a house not to far from here," David said, turning slightly on the bench to face her."

"How so, David?"

"I answered an ad. By a professor here at the college. He rents his garage out as a small living space. You could call it an apartment, buts more like a single room with a bed in the center, a detached small bathroom . . . and a few cooking things. It's got a sink, a micro-wave oven and gas hot plate. It's plenty enough for me right now."

"OK," she said, a little sadly. "But are you sure it's going to be . . ."

"It's perfect, Crissa. And best of all, it's not far from here. My mom will float me some cash each month to help with the rent."

"But it's so expensive around campus. Maybe you should look for something nearer the town where . . ."

"The place is actually affordable. The professor's cool about it. He liked that I was a mature guy and had experience working on a fishing boat in Alaska. Says he's going to try to get me a job with a commercial fleet that works out of Vancouver here."

"But David, your school? Aren't you going to continue . . . your studies?"

"Eventually, yes. But I can't transfer now as an incoming student until spring semester. But it's OK. I can live with that right now. It's just that . . . so much is up in the air with . . ."

"I know. I know, David. That will have to be worked out. And I'm here for that. Does your mom know anything about . . .?"

"Nothing. I didn't have the heart to tell her. No one would understand it. You know that. He looked down at the brown brick tiles and then up at the sky, hesitating to let his eyes drift over towards the moon.

I have a part-time job already. Over in the city. Bartending. Well, helping to bartend on the weekends when it's busy."

"But you don't know . . ."

"Yes, I do, Crissa. In Alaska we learn a lot of trades. I worked in a bar last year part time. I know the skill well enough."

She took both of his hands in hers and looked up into his boyish eyes. A nearby lamp post illuminating the path was just enough for her to see his handsome face.

"But when did you . . .do all this? It must have taken you. . ."

"Over a week. I've been down here since we last talked. Arranging things. I didn't want to bother you with any of it until I had things in place. And could share them with you."

"Wow.  I'm so proud of you! I guess since that trip, we've both . . . grown up a lot."

"By necessity, that's true."

"Yes," she said, looking up at the sky but also avoiding to glance at the moon.

"So, look, Crissa. I have to share some other stuff with you. Some not  so good."