Chapter Thirty-Three

Following a warm hug, the two strolled further down the hotel complex hallway, arm in arm.

"I want to show you something," David said to her. "It'll probably be in here."

He led her to the doorway of the hotel spa and gym.

"Probably?  So you're not sure?"

"It's just an educated guess," he answered, smiling.

"David, where are we . . ."

"Shhhh . . . Just come inside with me. There's something I want to show you."

He led her through the entrance of the health club section, with its exercise machines, stationary bikes, and a long wall of free weights positioned before a wall of mirrors.

"Yup. There we go," he said, mysteriously.

"What?  Where?"

At this late hour there was  no one  using the gym. Only a lonely spa employee was sitting behind a counter with shelves of towels and robes stacked behind him. He seemed bored and was totally oblivious to them.

"Alright," he said under his breath. "So here it is, come on . . ."

"Here what is,  David?"

"You'll see."

He led Crissa over to the full-length wall of mirrors. They both now stood facing them, just a meter away from their joined image.

"So . . . what do you see there?" he asked inquisitively.

Crissa looked across at their reflection in the mirror and could see herself standing in the arms of a handsome young man, robust and nearly a head taller than her. She could see also that she looked somewhat more mature in this pose as a couple, than she had ever witnessed before.

"Tell me then. What do you see?" he asked again, playfully.

It was plainly the image of a loving couple. There could be no doubt about it.

"I see us, David."

"Yes. And how do you see . . . us?"

Crissa laughed, self-consciously. "Well I see us . . . happy.  Obviously . . . close and . . ."

"Loving?"

She turned her gaze from the mirror to look up into his eyes.

"Yes, it seems in this picture . . . we really are . . . loving, as you say. Is that what you wanted to show me?"

"Do you think we will have this picture when we return, Crissa? And if I move to Vancouver?"

It was a starkly  direct question. One she had avoided trying to answer, even to herself during those last days.

"Well. It's very possible that we could, David. If I continue to make room for you in my life. And it's not disrupted too much. If my new school is still in place. My family still close. So. Do you think it can be done? Will you be patient . . . with our love?"

"Of course, I will!"

Crissa hugged him and glanced back into the mirror to see the handsome couple once more, this time smiling back.

"Come on!" he said.

"Where now?"

"Let's just see." he playfully added.