Chapter Sixty-Seven

Passing through the city, David suggested they go to his place to spend the night before the next critical day. After seeing what had happened to Julie prematurely that evening, Crissa convinced him they must get out of the city as soon as possible. She would also need to tell him the changes regarding the cabin and the most serious development, the vicious murder of Professor Dekker, while in his lab at the University of Alaska.

After arriving at an all-night Walmart store in Vancouver, the two went in to the dining area before shopping for what Crissa knew would be their essentials over the next three or four days and nights.

"My father found out," she said, leaning back exhausted and putting sugar in her tea. "That someone had been in the cabin last month."

David looked at her, surprised.

"He saw some damages inside the place, so he went up and changed the locks. He also said he made the windows more secure."

"God. I feel bad about that," David said, sincerely.

"It's alright. It had to be done."

"So where does that leave us these next days and nights, then?" His look was now questioning and serious.

"We'll pick up some tools here. An extra change of closthes for you. But mainly things you'll need to break us back in again."

"Are you sure? Sure you want to do that, Crissa?"

"Completely. We have no other option right now."

He looked down dejectedly at the dull surface of the table.

"Do you think this will ever change, Crissa? Any of this?"

"I don't know. But for now, we're in love . . . and we have a plan. To get you out of sight and safe for a few days. We'll just have to handle all of this . . . this month by month."

"So, we're going to the cabin?"

"Yes. But . . . think clothes and tools, David. Screwdrivers? A hammer? You tell me what we'll need to break in without a key."

He could not hold back a smile of admiration. It arose from her tenacity and what he knew could only be love.

"Alright then. A screwdriver and hammer are good. Jeans and a t-shirt? Some cheap tennis shoes, socks a sweatshirt?"

"OK, Great. And we'll need some food . . . flashlight, batteries . . . what else?"

"Wait, Crissa. I'm taking you back to the college after I get settled in, right?"

"No. This time I'm staying with you there."

"Come on, That's super dangerous!"

"I'll be fine."

"But the woods up there. It's going to be full of wolves . . . especially if they . . ."

"If they what?"

"If they smell me. It's a sense super-refined in wolves. I've experienced it. That's how I could always locate you . . . human . . . female . . . Crissa."

"You're kidding."

"No. Every mammal gives off these pheromones. I've studied them. Their sex-related smells. They're not consciously detected in humans anymore, but we have them. And we used to use them more in ancient times. Wolves know them well and use them to identify each other."

"OK. So maybe you can just stay inside . . ."

"It's no use, Crissa. The clan up there will know I'm back. Just as soon as we arrive at the cabin. Their sense of smell is like a bloodhound. Powerful at great distances."