Chapter Forty-Four

Following the grueling evening aerobics class, where Crissa had to stop twice to catch her breath, Trisha invited her to go the juice bar to meet the new friends she had connected with the night before from the U.S.

"That's OK. I've got some studying which I'm already behind on," she told her.

"Come on, Crissa . . . It's good to make some acquaintances here."

"You're right. I do have a tendency to be kind of a loner. Maybe you'll help me break that this year."

"Exactly. So, now's a good a time to start. Come on, these two I told you about are pretty fun and friendly."

"Really, Trish. Thanx. But that workout nearly killed me. I'm also soaked with sweat right now. I just don't feel . . ."

"Come on, gorgeous, haven't you ever heard . . . horses sweat, men perspire, and women glow?"

Crissa smiled. "Good one. Well, you  certainly glow, but I sweat," she said, putting her book bag on her shoulder and heading in the direction of the dorms.

"Alright. But next time . . . the cougar makes her debut, alright?"

"Very funny," Crissa said, patting the wildcat emblem on her chest proudly. As she passed by the table where the pair in question sat, she instantly felt what Trisha had already told her about the attractive guy. He smiled, held up his plastic cup of orange juice to Crissa, and then immediately began perusing her body with a hungry gaze. She mustered a smile at the two, nodded, and then went on her way out of the sports building into to cool air.

As she passed quickly across the campus in the dusky light, Crissa looked up at the mountains to the east across the bay. No sign of the moon yet gave her some relief from the worry she had harbored all afternoon for David.

Returning to her room and preparing to take a shower, she heard her phone ringing on her nightstand.

"Hello?"

"So, how's our college girl doing?" the voice asked, enthusiastically.

"Oh. Hi Dad!  Well . . . pretty great I guess. I'm . . . I just got back from an aerobics class."

"Impressive," he said, chuckling to himself. "I just wanted to call to check on things. I missed you today. Your mom said you stopped by briefly."

Crissa froze, standing in her underwear with the shower in the bathroom creating steam. Could he possibly have gotten suspicious? Did he notice the cabin keys were missing?

"Yeah, I just needed some clothes, Dad. Some things I forgot to pack. Sorry I . . . didn't stay. I had to get back for this class which I . . ."

"It's OK, Crissy. I'm not snooping. I just wanted to hear your voice, that's all. Things are different around here now with you gone."

"Yeah, I know. I realize that, Dad."

"See, we just got kind of used to you . . . after eighteen years in the house." He laughed quietly again. "All that skiing. And those summers up in the cabin."

Her heart stopped.

"Yeah, We had . . . great years, Dad. Lots of them. I appreciate all you and mom did for me." 

She could only now picture the cabin.

"I know you do, Angel. Just remember to keep in touch with us, alright?"